Technical What is this

Currently reading:
Technical What is this

david295

Established member
what is this item in pic, it seems to be broke and just pulls out of housing Photo-0001.jpg

Photo-0002.jpg

It looks like it might be part of the clutch slave cylinder. Is the clutch working as it should?
the cluth works fine its a new clutch fitted in july ths yea, saying that the clutch pedal is quite far down and can be lifted up with foot, this piece in pics is screwed in by the oil filler cap its some kind of sensor i think

The clutch system may need bleeding to remove air.

The widget might be part of the gearbox breather system. Does it smell of gear oil.

We're the wrong side of the engine to be discussing clutches aren't we? That is the oil filler cap I can see in the photo, which is on the offside, not nearside where the gearbox is on these 8v engines. And I can safely say, I have never seen this device on any of the 8v engines I have worked on.

The only thing I can think of is that the head has been skimmed beyond the minimum limit, and thus the cambelt drive has had to be modified, and this sensor has to be relocated as a result. It might also be a later modification though that I am just unaware of.

Im guessing its the cam sensor fitted to some of the mk2 punto engines. I would replace it just in case it comes out while your driving and makes an oily mess of your engine.

Damn dave beat me to it. LOL

Epic Fail until Dave saved the day. :cry:

david295- what colour is your Engine management warning lamp?

If it's yellow, the light should be on as the cam/phase sensor is critical and an error should be logged and it'll need a new sensor.

If it's red, the car is a pre-2001 (Euro 2) and shouldn't have one, and has had the engine/head/rocker cover from a later engine fitted, and therefore no need to worry about it. (y)

Last edited:
Lmao! Camshaft sensor was present on a few y reg cars. My y reg I'm breaking had one. Not all do though I don't think. Has the bolt snapped off and still in the rocker cover? Or has the plastic housing broken?

Just had a good look at the pics and wtf has happened to that! Undo the bolt and pull out all the plastic and stick a new sensor in. I think it unplugs from the wiring near the top of the cambelt

Epic Fail until Dave saved the day. :cry:

david295- what colour is your Engine management warning lamp?

If it's yellow, the light should be on as the cam/phase sensor is critical and an error should be logged and it'll need a new sensor.

If it's red, the car is a pre-2001 (Euro 2) and shouldn't have one, and has had the engine/head/rocker cover from a later engine fitted, and therefore no need to worry about it. (y)
the warning light is yellow, and comes on when ignitin is on but ges off when engine started

Lmao! Camshaft sensor was present on a few y reg cars. My y reg I'm breaking had one. Not all do though I don't think. Has the bolt snapped off and still in the rocker cover? Or has the plastic housing broken?
its just the lastic housing tat has snapped, on tick over the engine feels like it is missing would ths be caused by the damaged sensor

Back