General We're driving our Panda 769cc across Africa

Currently reading:
General We're driving our Panda 769cc across Africa

No mention of classic pandas in the last reply....The car is not going to South Africa....Its just a fact that French, German and Jap cars are the most popular makes in Africa...I love the idea of helping these charities..but if you look at the auctions at the end of these rallies (Which i have!!!) A Panda will make hardly any money at all..Where as a £300 Merc WILL make £2000...Want to make money for these good people???...Its not rocket science..

purple haze: I was just trying to show CLXCraig that FIAT has a presence on the African continent (not just South Africa).

Fair enough...i misunderstood sorry.:eek:...Back on topic i stick by my posts about the raising of money which im sure you must now see the sense in..this is not a car which will serve this purpose...Fun? yes...Querky? for sure..A waste??...Oh yes in just about every respect!!!

The Merc's are bought by the rich people...or help a Taxi driver get work and support his family...My Micra will be cheap to run and will help a younger person start a buisness..The Micra wont go for as much as a Merc..but..i like the idea of helping future generations...A bit like the saying "Dont send grain...send shovels and seeds then they can grow their own for years to come"

Fair enough, that makes perfect sense.

As mentioned earlier, these people have simply asked the wrong people for advice given the circumstances.

I'm still planning to take my Panda home, however you'll be happy to know I intend to keep it.

Some additional info about the London/ Camaroon rally:-

The organisers have stipulated that cars must be 1000cc or less. If you want to use something with a bigger engine you are charged something like £100 per extra 100cc to enter, so a Mercedes or similar would be prohibitive for this reason.
The money raised by selling the car at the end of the rally is a very small proportion of the total, we were looking to get about £5000 from various sponsers. Many of them were willing to contribute because we were attempting to go so far in such an unlikely vehicle, I don't think they would have been quite so generous if we'd been trying it in a Range Rover.
It's all about the adventure!
Having said that, I think it would be even more of an adventure in a Micra, or a Mini based Kit car as we were going to. Pandas, even 2wd, are great off road so would have made it all too easy. So, if I can manage to go next year it won't be in a Panda, you'll be pleased to hear. ;)

The 1000cc rule applies to other rallies too....Guess it makes it fun..(y)

The rally i'm doing has a rule that the car must cost £100...but this can be broken..This is good for the auction at the end...(y) Someone is even taking a mobile clinic!!!!!....and fully kitted ambulance's have gone...all good stuff..:)

We hope to raise £10,000 for our nominated charity in the UK and have great sponsors in place. Good luck to anyone doing this kind of rally...and yes....lets be honest here...I'm not going to lie... i'm doing it because it will be a TRIP OF A LIFETIME and if i raise money on the way then great.

see the link below....Cheers all...

Last edited:
We hope to raise £10,000 for our nominated charity in the UK and have great sponsors in place. Good luck to anyone doing this kind of rally...and yes....lets be honest here...I'm not going to lie... i'm doing it because it will be a TRIP OF A LIFETIME and if i raise money on the way then great.

see the link below....Cheers all...[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat: Aren't Panda owners an adventurous lot!!!

Ooppps!!....Where did they go????!!!!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 79
That sounds awesome, would love to do this with my husband to be. His family work very hard in the charity sector, something I would like to get more involved with. The only charity I do, set up direct debts out of my account on a monthly basis for 5 selcted charities.

Good luck and be safe hun.

That sounds awesome, would love to do this with my husband to be. His family work very hard in the charity sector, something I would like to get more involved with. The only charity I do, set up direct debts out of my account on a monthly basis for 5 selcted charities.

Good luck and be safe hun.

Feel free to donate....:D

I mean half the fun is bringing the car back also. Jims always managed it.

It's all of the fun getting the car there and then bringing it back so when you get some muppet asking 'Why do you drive that thing???' (insert comedy dumb voice there) you pull out your phone and show it burried in a snow drift while your wrestling a lion outside the whitehouse or something and then they go 'Oh....'

It's so worth it hehe!

Back