General Welcome to Panda Corner on FiatForum.com!

Currently reading:
General Welcome to Panda Corner on FiatForum.com!

John, thanks for your tips.

Further questions;

My car has an alternator belt and a timing belt. The fan is electric and therefore no fan belt. This belt needs to reviewed at 60000 miles or so. Is this correct? I have seen how to inspect the timing belt.

I have a brake fluid button to press under the bonnet. This does not seem to do anything. Any tips?

Any point replacing the cabin air filter?

Are front brakes very easy to replace? If so how? step by step please.

The seats from the Y10 sound interesting. Are they easy to come by at a scrap yard and are they much better seats?

Many thanks,
Nrb

nrb

I thought the "Dance" had the 903cc engine with a timing chain...
Anyway, if you have the 999cc engine (exhaust immediately behind the radiator), the timing belt is 60K miles replacement, or the equivalent number of years of average use - maybe 5 or 6 years.

Both the Pandas I look after have this button on top of the master cylinder - neither of them light up the handbrake warning light when the button is pressed (which it should).
TBH I check the fluid levels weekly by eye, rather than repair this warning system.

I'm not aware of a separate cabin air filter...

Front brake pads are easy to change.
Disks a little more difficult.

Follow this thread for information about the brakes -
https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6144

The Y10 was never common in the UK, and is rare now.
The seats are different, probably better in some ways.
Follow this thread -
https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6160

Regards

John H

THanks for the tips. I had a look at the fan fitting;

The electrical supply connection is the only connection i could see. How can I short the switch the test the fan. Where is the switch?

I tested the rear washer too. Both pumps work and (both switches work) a blocked tube or blacked valve (where is the valve?) changing out the tube is a difficult task though I imagine.

Cheers
Neil

nrb

Originally posted by nrbrowning
THanks for the tips. I had a look at the fan fitting;

The electrical supply connection is the only connection i could see. How can I short the switch the test the fan. Where is the switch?

On the radiator, as described in 3) a few posts back..

I tested the rear washer too. Both pumps work and (both switches work) a blocked tube or blacked valve (where is the valve?) changing out the tube is a difficult task though I imagine.

I've never had cause to bother it - but:
"Porter" suggests the valve is in the rear quarter of the car, rising somewhere near the lamps, or just above, on the (UK) passenger side.
Not in the tailgate, in the car.

If you can find it, that would be a natural place to unplug and check the flow.

I'd imagine the tube to be one of the first things put on the shell when they build the car, and probably rather difficult to replace.

Can you clear this up for .

You said try unplugging the lead from the switch on the radiator and bridging the two connectors (mind your fingers in the fan.
If it runs - you need a new switch.
Does this mean I unplug the lead attached to the radiator (just below the fan connection that is testing the temperature I guess) and bridge the two connections to simulate an overheating radiator? If fan comes on I need a new switch..

Then you said...If it doesn't run, try supplying an earth to each of the two terminals. If it works on a separate lead - you have an earthing problem on the (troublesome) connector block on the inner wing behind the gearbox side headlight.
Each of the two terminals of what? the switch lead in the radiator ? or the leads of the fan? together or separately. Sorry but I did not understand what you meant!
thanks NRB

nrb

can I connect the fan directly to the battery to test if it works?
Also the registation says Panda Dance although I have no stickers on it. I will check the engine size, but the manual mentions the 60 000 mile check on the timing belt. Although the manual does cover more than one model of panda I guess.

thanks for your help

nrb

and another thing. Are there wheels from other more modern cars I could fit on the Panda? I see you have Punto wheels. I am happy to try a junk yard for spares

thanks

nrb

Can you clear this up for .

You said try unplugging the lead from the switch on the radiator and bridging the two connectors (mind your fingers in the fan.
If it runs - you need a new switch).
Does this mean I unplug the lead attached to the radiator (just below the fan connection that is testing the temperature I guess) and bridge the two connections to simulate an overheating radiator? If fan comes on I need a new switch..

exactly that.

Then you said...If it doesn't run, try supplying an earth to each of the two terminals. If it works on a separate lead - you have an earthing problem on the (troublesome) connector block on the inner wing behind the gearbox side headlight.
Each of the two terminals of what? the switch lead in the radiator ?
or the leads of the fan? together or separately. Sorry but I did not understand what you meant!

That wasn't terribly clear, I suppose.

It was intended to be a second step to try if the first step of simulating overheat didn't make the fan run.

I meant I couldn't tell you which of the two connectors in the lead to the switch on the radiator is earthed.
So, if you provided an earth to the one which should provide the earth nothing will happen.
But, if you provide an earth to the connector which goes back to the fan the fan will run - simulating overheat, but this time bypassing part of the wiring. (provided there is no other fault either with the fan itself, or the power to it, or other wiring.)

can I connect the fan directly to the battery to test if it works?

You could.
But all you'll know is if the fan is faulty.

and another thing. Are there wheels from other more modern cars I could fit on the Panda? I see you have Punto wheels. I am happy to try a junk yard for spares

thanks

nrb

The business of what wheels to put on a Panda, without compromising handling (especially turn in to corners if the offset is wrong), or fouling bodywork, or invalidating your insurance, etc. etc., is beyond me.

John,

Your idea worked! I shorted out the switch in the radiator below the fan and the fan came on great. This suggests it is a new switch I need. When I looked at it I could not see an easy way to change out the switch without removing the fan and radiator too. Any tips here?

Will a switch still be available from FIAT?

cheers
NRB

nrb

You'd need an appropriate "tube" tool, which I think the Fiat garages own to avoid the radiator removing (otherwise necessary:()

Passion has neither brands nor models!

La passione non ha nè marche nè modelli!
(Quite happy dark met. blue Panda driver!)

When I looked at it I could not see an easy way to change out the switch without removing the fan and radiator too. Any tips here?

Will a switch still be available from FIAT?

I've not had to change the switch, yet.
I would imagine a ring spanner, "box spanner", or long reach socket, would do the trick with it in situ.

Having had a quick peep I don't think you need the radiator out.

But, do use a new gasket, and don't overtighten - it seems to be tapped into the "plastic" expansion tank/side of the radiator.

Regarding a new switch - some FIAT dealers are better than others...

I have bought the haynes manual so i understand a bit more now.
The radiator switch is working since, the fan came on last night at temp of 95. The switch may need replacing if it comes on at too high a temp but it is not vital i feel. btw where is the temp on the gauge measured at?
But the temperature guage regularly shows temps above 90. perhaps the coolant pump is not working. Any tips on diagnosis? Is it easy to replace, cheap too? First of all I will tension up the belt a bit.

PS I saw a Panda on the way to a scrap yard yesterday. Are parts so scarce I should have followed the lorry?!

nrb

Oh.

I though you said:

3) My fan never comes on and the engine threatens to overheat.

Perhaps all the fiddling about has disturbed the connectors.

The cooling system relies on either the car to be moving forcing air through the radiator, or the fan to cool it - if you are in slow moving or stationary traffic things warm up.

The fan on the average Panda comes on more than most - the cooling is just about adequate, but even so I wouldn't expect the fan to come on much at this time of year if the traffic you are in keeps moving.
But, a few minutes at a set of lights will see gauge move upwards though.

Firstly:
Check the coolant level.

Then bleed the cooling system:
2 screws - first in the top lefthand end of the radiator (as seen with you looking under the bonnet - don't break it off).
Second is behind the carburettor in the return pipe from the heater - looks about the diameter of a 1p coin with knurled edges. ( don't break this one either).

Check the vacuum advance unit isn't popped* - if it is your Panda won't go as well as it should, and it will run a bit hot due to thin mixture at tick-over.

If you're still not getting much cooling, your Panda may have been neglected and you might find there is little or no antifreeze ( or old antifreeze which has lost its corrosion inhibiter properties), and you may have a furred up cooling system.

You can buy aggressive cleaning fluids for cleaning out cooling systems: follow the instructions...

If you airlock the heater, and can't sort it, post back here.

No ammount of belt tightening will help drive the water pump on the "FIRE" engine.

Regards

John H

* thin pipe from the carb/inlet manifold area back to the little module on the side of the distributor. Unplug at the carb end and blow down the pipe (you can suck if you want, but the petrol vapours are carcinogenic and taste nasty). If you can blow it's popped.
It's a separate unit which sells for teens of UKP.
You don't need a new distributor, if this is all that's wrong with it.

PS I saw a Panda on the way to a scrap yard yesterday. Are parts so scarce I should have followed the lorry?!

Doors which aren't rusted out are a bit rare:)

ISTR Brake master cylinders are in short supply.

Perhaps it would have been worth knowing where it went, just to nose about:
some Pandas have a clock and backlighting on the switches.. errr, extra door bin for the passenger side.... clip on aerial... half decent seats.

Pot luck, really.

thanks for all the help. I have the haynes manual so I understand a bit more. btw My Panda has a 903cc engine and not the FIRE engine.

I was wondering what is the normal temp that the gauge should show? I have just been in an Audi 80 and noticed the Temp was 50-60, My fiat runs at 90 degrees.

cheers

nrb

Temperature of 50-60 is wrong for a fully warmed up engine:
it probably needs a new thermostat.

90 degrees is happy for a FIAT. Some others are a bit warmer.

Be very carefull if your fan is not coming on. My 95 Panda selecta fan packed up (or so it seemed) so the RAC hotwired the fan on so I could get home. Problem was, the thermostat was stuck in which caused the head to overheat thus blowing the headgasket![xx(]

My car is now up for sale as spares / repairs or I may break parts before the crap metal man takes it away. See my post in for sale, but I have two immaculate doors:p / mint 14" punto HLX 1999 alloys & tyres [8D] / roofbars and all the 1100cc Fuel injection parts;)! (together with everything else!) PM me for more details. ALL OPEN TO OFFERS!

Cheers
John

Originally posted by John H

Doors which aren't rusted out are a bit rare:)

ISTR Brake master cylinders are in short supply.

Perhaps it would have been worth knowing where it went, just to nose about:
some Pandas have a clock and backlighting on the switches.. errr, extra door bin for the passenger side.... clip on aerial... half decent seats.

Pot luck, really.

Mine has the clock / backlite switches / passenger bin / later trim / parcel shelf, white indicators / late grill & bumpers (in black - suit any colour) etc, etc, etc - all open to offers.;)

891466.jpg

Back