Technical Weber DICA 1 Jet Locations

Currently reading:
Technical Weber DICA 1 Jet Locations

slicstu

Hello all.
I am rebuilding the DICA 1 carburetor on my newly acquired 1972 850 Spider. The previous owner disassembled the carb and now I am confused about the larger and smaller jets on this Weber. The AIR JETS removed are 170 and 185. The MAIN JETs removed are 115 and 117. The IDLING JETs are 42 and 45. Any help is appreciated.

Until a Forum member with specific knowledge can advise, in general terms with what I assuming is a progressive twin choke carb, in that until you put your foot right down, only the primary choke opens, the secondary opening when performance is more important than economy.
To that end I would suggest the smaller jets on the primary side which has the smaller choke side and with a progressive carb often has the choke flap operation for cold starting.
It may be irrelevant but on many twin choke carbs of that similar design I have found with the top off and the two air jets out, you have what I called emulsion tubes with drilled holes which could be removed using a match stick jammed into the hole, when these tubes were removed and banged gently on a hard surface often water and dirt would drop out which had been causing poor running, simply blowing with an air line often didn't shift this so worth checking.
Finally once everything is checked and reassembled including float height etc. it is well worth operating the throttle lever to check correct function of the progressive secondary choke side and that it is going all the way. Also when carb all connected on the vehicle and engine off have someone press the pedal to the floor as even slight loss of movement at the pedal can result in the secondary choke never opening, in the 1970s working on Lada 1200s Fiat 124 under licence) as a result of correcting the pedal operation the customer would be amazed how much better the vehicle performed.;)

Until a Forum member with specific knowledge can advise, in general terms with what I assuming is a progressive twin choke carb, in that until you put your foot right down, only the primary choke opens, the secondary opening when performance is more important than economy.
To that end I would suggest the smaller jets on the primary side which has the smaller choke side and with a progressive carb often has the choke flap operation for cold starting.
It may be irrelevant but on many twin choke carbs of that similar design I have found with the top off and the two air jets out, you have what I called emulsion tubes with drilled holes which could be removed using a match stick jammed into the hole, when these tubes were removed and banged gently on a hard surface often water and dirt would drop out which had been causing poor running, simply blowing with an air line often didn't shift this so worth checking.
Finally once everything is checked and reassembled including float height etc. it is well worth operating the throttle lever to check correct function of the progressive secondary choke side and that it is going all the way. Also when carb all connected on the vehicle and engine off have someone press the pedal to the floor as even slight loss of movement at the pedal can result in the secondary choke never opening, in the 1970s working on Lada 1200s Fiat 124 under licence) as a result of correcting the pedal operation the customer would be amazed how much better the vehicle performed.;)
Thank you bugs, i appreciate the info. I will look into this. Anyone else with experience working with this carb please let me know your thoughts.

Further to what I think your carb is , if manual cold start choke device there was a link bar from the flap mechhanism that went to the first throttle lever and it could be bent or straightened slightly depending on whether your engine was running too fast or too slow whilst on choke.

Hi Stu, I am guessing you have the US spec 30 DICA 1. I have just rebuilt a European spec 30 DIC 11 so have my carb folder handy. Jet info is on second page. IMG_4505.jpegIMG_4506.jpeg

Hi Stu, I am guessing you have the US spec 30 DICA 1. I have just rebuilt a European spec 30 DIC 11 so have my carb folder handy. Jet info is on second page.View attachment 427951View attachment 427952
Thank you Toshi. I do have this on PDF, translated to English, however, it does not indicate what side the larger size jets should be located. My thinking is that the larger size jets would be for the secondary chamber and smaller size jets on the primary side. just trying to get clerificaton before going any further. I would sure like to start this old machine very soon. Again, I appreciate tthe help.

Thank you Toshi. I do have this on PDF, translated to English, however, it does not indicate what side the larger size jets should be located. My thinking is that the larger size jets would be for the secondary chamber and smaller size jets on the primary side. just trying to get clerificaton before going any further. I would sure like to start this old machine very soon. Again, I appreciate tthe help.
Does, primario and secondario in the jet sizes on the right of the second photo indicate first and second chokes?
I see some primary are larger , that may be on air bleed side.
I can't remember in my earlier advice if I mentioned checking the accelerator pump operation, with fuel in the carb as you work the throttle lever there should be a steady fine jet of fuel being visible directed down the choke with no breaks in flow until you get to the end of travel or release the throttle lever.
If that isn't working engine can stumble on putting your foot down.
My Italian language course was ordering bottles of wine on a sking holiday in 1978;)

Hello all.
I am rebuilding the DICA 1 carburetor on my newly acquired 1972 850 Spider. The previous owner disassembled the carb and now I am confused about the larger and smaller jets on this Weber. The AIR JETS removed are 170 and 185. The MAIN JETs removed are 115 and 117. The IDLING JETs are 42 and 45. Any help is appreciated.

The carburettor is a progressive twin choke therefore the primary choke is the one that opens first then part throttle the secondary comes into action. So the way I read it the larger jets are on the primary.

Not speaking Italian, but the way I read it was slightly different, bigger main fuel jets on secondary for performance, with primary set for economy.
However the primary air jets if I am reading it correctly appear to be bigger.
Perhaps an Italian speaker can translate?
This is jet sizes on Fiat 131 1975-82 I don't want to confuse you with the bigger engines (1.3-2litre) etc. but it may be possible to understand where bigger and smaller jets normally sit in a progressive twin choke carb.

Attachments

• DSCF0933.JPG
    DSCF0933.JPG
    460.3 KB · Views: 36
Back