Wax/polish dries instant on bonnet

Currently reading:
Wax/polish dries instant on bonnet

You don't know at this stage exactly what is causing the holograms (if in fact they are). Holograms are not just simply sometimes down to polishing and poor technique over using other products and from what the OP has said leads to the potential that it could be caused by other products.

Invariably it can simply be caused by using to much or not wiping excess away or using products incorrectly.

In relation to polishing depending on what products were used I have got away with it in the past just using IPA on very fine ones removes them.

Last edited:
What you have is holograms caused probably by over using the amount of polish or not working it well enough.

Do they look like the below?

02-buffertrails.jpg

Then IPA or I know Chris above referred to it as pre paint, quite simply called panel wipe. Panel wipe is a bit stronger, but IPA should do the job in removing some of it if it is very bad though then you will need to repolish it to remove them.

Yes! Except you've just opened a can of worms - I have them nearly all over the car!

However, it is not just them on the bonnet. The onyl way to describe it is, I apply the polish and within seconds it is extremely hard to buff off. Kind off like leaving water drops to dry, which leaves water marks.

Admitedly, I don't go by detailing guides 100%, but I didn't think I was that bad to cause holograms etc.

Thanks for any help!

Sam

If you have buffer trails all over the car, have you had any paintwork done before?
If you have they generally 'mop' the car over for you leaving swirls and buffer trails as they are either inexperienced or cant be bothered.
I highly doubt you'll be leaving holograms like that by hand, especially when using SRP as it has hardly any abbrasives. I could understand if you were using meguairs scratch x or g3 as they are harsh compounds.
It sounds like there is something wrong with your bonnet and the rest of the car has been poorly machined.
Where do you live?

If you have buffer trails all over the car, have you had any paintwork done before?
If you have they generally 'mop' the car over for you leaving swirls and buffer trails as they are either inexperienced or cant be bothered.
I highly doubt you'll be leaving holograms like that by hand, especially when using SRP as it has hardly any abbrasives. I could understand if you were using meguairs scratch x or g3 as they are harsh compounds.
It sounds like there is something wrong with your bonnet and the rest of the car has been poorly machined.
Where do you live?

I havent had any work done at all mate. Had it clayed and machine polished once but thats it. Only a few hours though at that.

I'll feel much better if I know I haven't done the hologram marks etc.

I live in Rotherham mate, near sheffield.
Might be an idea to get all us with rotarys to meet up with sam and attack his car. (y)

Dom

I would love for everyone to look at it and work out the next steps to get it looking better!

I havent had any work done at all mate. Had it clayed and machine polished once but thats it. Only a few hours though at that.

I'll feel much better if I know I haven't done the hologram marks etc.

I live in Rotherham mate, near sheffield.

I would love for everyone to look at it and work out the next steps to get it looking better!

Sounds like the buffer trails have been put in by the machine polishing. To get a good finish you need more than a few hours unfortunately.
I doubt you've put them in by hand, as said you'd need to be using harsh compounds. Rotherham is a bit far for me to have a look, sorry mate.

no worries I wouldn't expect you to travel just to look anyway bud. Dom etc are closer so maybe they can help. Replies are enough for me though, anything else is just a bonus. I'm usually a perfectionist so anything like this just bugs the liviing hell out of me haha

Back