Technical water temperature while sitting in traffic

Currently reading:
Technical water temperature while sitting in traffic

well does it take the car along time to warm up compared to usual? And does the temp drop lower than usual when driving along at say 50mph.. If not the the thermostat is more than likely opening and closing as it should..

I would try bleeding first though, i assume the punto has a heater box bleed screw like a cento, been too long since i messed with anything other than the GT i can't remember

so i just changed thermostat again and while getting car up to temp i noticed antifreeze level dropped to min so i turned the car off and went to check level again and it was almost to max so i turned the car back on and level went back to low

there are no leaks, i did bleed it

went for a drive and temp gauge never reached middle, i did put in a used thermostat tho
gonna try genuine fiat one tomorrow

Last edited:
eaten material around thermostat bolts

Attachments

• DSC03473.JPG
    DSC03473.JPG
    654.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC03475.JPG
    DSC03475.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 31
original termostat fitted but still got this problem

so i just changed thermostat again and while getting car up to temp i noticed antifreeze level dropped to min so i turned the car off and went to check level again and it was almost to max so i turned the car back on and level went back to low

car ON-and warmed up- antifreeze level on min, car OFF antifreeze level goes few cm below max

unless this is normal

I'd get a real thermostat (new one) and use some RTV on the gasket. Points to acid in coolant (either no anti-freeze or never changed and combusion gases getting into it, turning it to acid).

I still think you have some air in there.

i did fit new one

i changed antifreeze this january and again when i changed thermostat 3 days ago dunno how often it was changed before

looks like back to bleeding

Attachments

• DSC03477.JPG
    DSC03477.JPG
    808.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03479.JPG
    DSC03479.JPG
    768.9 KB · Views: 23
i used gasket + rtv gasket sealant

On the head? Compression test! You should never, ever, use RTV on the head to block joint. It needs to be flat and spotless (as in, cleaned with panel wipe or acetone -- petrol if you must).

The gasket pretty much chemically bonds to the head and block, RTV or grease or filth will tend to prevent that happening and RTV can't handle those kind of temperatures.

I believe Fingers means not to use RTV on the head gasket replacement. Use RTV on the thermostat probably is OK and should not cause a head gasket failure.

As long as you don't loose any coolant and the engine is not overheating then hopefully you are OK. If you need to often bleed the system then head gasket again may need attention. When was the head gasket last changed?

lets say it is head gasket, would that cause rise in antifreeze from min to almost max when i turn off car?
I believe so yes, at least this was the symptoms I had when my head gasket gave up, same car.

Back