Technical Warning lights, errors, rough idling, shifting trouble

Currently reading:
Technical Warning lights, errors, rough idling, shifting trouble

cdcartin2001

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, happy to be around other Fiat fans! I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Sport (1.4L 4 CYL Gasoline Non-Turbo). Two days ago, I started having several strange symptoms. Most warning lights on the dash are illuminated, several errors show (Hill Start Unavailable, EBD failure, ABS unavailable, Service airbag system, Have power steering checked, ESC unavailable, Have engine oil changed) There is a relay constantly switching, along with a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. The gear indicator on the display flashes about once a second, along with the tag lights. It's idling rough and, if I attempt to put it in gear, the transmission seems to be confused about what is going on. The car attempts to lunge forward, stop, then lunge again, no matter which gear it's in. All interior electronics work (radio, ac/heat, lights, hatch). Entry remote will lock and unlock doors fine. Windows roll up and down fine.

I've checked the hatch/boot wiring (completely removed the rubber sheathing), and it's intact. I've also replaced the battery with one that I knew was good. I've left the battery unplugged for several hours to attempt resetting the ECU, but no improvement. It was running fine a few days ago, and the last service done on it was installing new tires and headlights. I've inspected the wires going to the headlights and they're intact. I've also unplugged the headlamps to be sure they weren't cuasing the issue. I'll be towing it to a mechanic next week to have diagnostics ran on it, but wonder if there is anything else I could check in the mean time? Mechanic on the phone suspects bad ECU. Thoughts? Thankfully this car isn't my daily driver so I can afford to experiment. Any help is appreciated!

Completely agree on the diagnostics. Hopefully my mechanic can shed some light on this mystery. I did try the battery out of my Malibu, but I may go have this battery tested at the very least. It's still under warranty so if they see anything strange with it I'll go ahead and get it replaced. Thanks!

Thanks, John202020. Good idea. I pulled the battery tray yesterday and took a look. The strap looks like it has seen better days. Tested continuity with my multi meter, but I heard sometimes they my fail under load. I'm going to go ahead and replace it since it's such a cheap part and see where that gets me.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, happy to be around other Fiat fans! I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Sport (1.4L 4 CYL Gasoline Non-Turbo). Two days ago, I started having several strange symptoms. Most warning lights on the dash are illuminated, several errors show (Hill Start Unavailable, EBD failure, ABS unavailable, Service airbag system, Have power steering checked, ESC unavailable, Have engine oil changed) There is a relay constantly switching, along with a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. The gear indicator on the display flashes about once a second, along with the tag lights. It's idling rough and, if I attempt to put it in gear, the transmission seems to be confused about what is going on. The car attempts to lunge forward, stop, then lunge again, no matter which gear it's in. All interior electronics work (radio, ac/heat, lights, hatch). Entry remote will lock and unlock doors fine. Windows roll up and down fine.

I've checked the hatch/boot wiring (completely removed the rubber sheathing), and it's intact. I've also replaced the battery with one that I knew was good. I've left the battery unplugged for several hours to attempt resetting the ECU, but no improvement. It was running fine a few days ago, and the last service done on it was installing new tires and headlights. I've inspected the wires going to the headlights and they're intact. I've also unplugged the headlamps to be sure they weren't cuasing the issue. I'll be towing it to a mechanic next week to have diagnostics ran on it, but wonder if there is anything else I could check in the mean time? Mechanic on the phone suspects bad ECU. Thoughts? Thankfully this car isn't my daily driver so I can afford to experiment. Any help is appreciated!

I know stuff like that happens when you jump start a car the wrong way

Back