Technical Warning and messages

Currently reading:
Technical Warning and messages

Lesley64

Hi, I'm Lesley... my husband and I own a 2011 model Fiat Ducato (Autotrail Dakota motor home). 2.3l Monarch Multijet
I have a few questions, we find ourselves in the position of having to rebuild or replace the engine (for the second time) with total km on the vehicle being about 38000. I hope you can bear with me as this story might get long and technical lol. We have had to take this to a small claims court to try to recover costs etc. The Fiat dealership where the engine was fitted are denying problems of course. We were very close to a mechanic so called them to tow and help but ended up taking it to a Fiat dealership but not the one that fitted the engine, they are now claiming 'substandard repairs at non Fiat workshop'.
I'll start with warning lights and messages... When we broke down, we had a red light on the dash with a messaqe to shut engine off immediately which my husband did immediately and coasted to the side of the road, There were NO warning lights of any kind prior to this. The Fiat guy is saying that in the owners manual it talks about a warning light coming on and a message to contact a Fiat dealership, which it does but the section is about deteriorated oil (we were a month prior to a service) and says in 'in certain versions together with the message on display'... Hubby only recalls message saying shut down immediately, which I guess when you are in a traffic situation you wouldn't stop to read the dash so carefully.
How do we know what version we have and if ours would say this?

Last edited:
Hi, My van is 2010 reg so probably a 2009 build, not sure what the 'Monarch' label signifies, but it is also a 2.3 Multijet.

Is the garage implying you have disregarded an oil degradation warning? My van displays a spanner symbol on the dash display to indicate a service is due; I've assumed this is triggered by accumulated mileage rather than related to oil degradation as it then disappears after another 500 km.

If the servicing is carried out by a dealer they would reset the service interval and so delete the spanner from the display.

There are no other warnings displayed on my van but note that if you have a DPF fitted to your van the software and display may be different

Hi, My van is 2010 reg so probably a 2009 build, not sure what the 'Monarch' label signifies, but it is also a 2.3 Multijet.

Is the garage implying you have disregarded an oil degradation warning? My van displays a spanner symbol on the dash display to indicate a service is due; I've assumed this is triggered by accumulated mileage rather than related to oil degradation as it then disappears after another 500 km.

If the servicing is carried out by a dealer they would reset the service interval and so delete the spanner from the display.

There are no other warnings displayed on my van but note that if you have a DPF fitted to your van the software and display may be different
Thanks for your reply, but I may not have explained very well and there is so so much to explain. I am currently writing up my submission for our hearing tomorrow and was hoping to understand a little more than I do. The dealer who fitted the engine is trying to throw all sorts of possible anomalies in the ring to create doubt, I was trying to refute everyone of them lol.
This is basically a case of unexplained low oil pressure. We were driving along when we got the dreaded shut engine down and pull over immediately warning which we did. The cambelt timing was found to be just one tooth out, which may or may not have resulted in the rpm masking the pressure problem and preventing the trigger for warning lights. However all the bolts on the cambelt cover except one were found loose when the timing was found out and it was possible that the common problem of water freezing and causing the belt to slip could also be the problem. The Fiat dealer is really pushing the fact that another garage had access to our vehicle. however that garage did not go near the timing cover, they simply did minor tests etc and advised us to take it to a Fiat dealer.
I am not sure what the Monarch thing is either lol, but it is written on our purchase agreement.. it is infact a multijet but right now I cannot remember if it is a 120 or 130... these badges are on the vehicle and in the handbooks, but it is a 2.3l.... clearly I am not mechanic!

Last edited:
Back