Volkswagen emissions scandal

Currently reading:
Volkswagen emissions scandal

I will start by saying this: I am completely happy with the amount of tax I pay on my Grande Punto. The issue I have is that as things currently stand, people who buy the latest models which perform unrealistically well in emissions tests are paying less tax than they should whilst people who can only afford to drive cars 10 years old plus are being penalised for it.

As a rough idea, here's a chart for yourself:

Electric plus engines upto 999cc: £50.

1000-1499cc: £100.

1500-1999cc: £150.

2000-2499cc: £200.

2500-2999cc: £275.

3000-3999cc: £350.

4000cc plus: £450.

With regards to turbocharged petrols, I would tax them according to their N/A power equivalent. With your example of the fiesta red/black editions, (coincidentally, a girl I took on a date this year drives a black edition, 1 of her friends has a red edition, lol) the output is the equivalent of a N/A 1.8, so they would be taxed in the 3rd category.

Over complicated, unfair and just stupid. Didn't work in the 80's, 90's it sure as hell won't now we have Petrol Turbos, Diesel Turbos, Twin charging, supercharging, hybrids...

So you've just completely removed any incentive to make engines clean. Why do you not realise this? How is this not glaringly obvious to you?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

That, my friend, is why I mentioned a legal requirement, which currently appears glaringly absent!!!!!

But by that time the car is already pumping out crap into the air and wasting fuel.....

What are you on about? If you're genuinely concerned about your claimed emissions, then you can still choose your car accordingly.

What are you on about? If you're genuinely concerned about your claimed emissions, then you can still choose your car accordingly.

Look up "Social engineering". The whole goal of taxation on emissions is go have " cleaner air " as a result, especially in cities.

People as individuals on the whole couldn't give a #£%t about emissions and will only give it a second thought when it effects them personally. In this case in the form of tax.

Unfortunately the richer people in society find this less of an issue than poor so will continue to spend spare income on a big polluting well built car.

Look up "Social engineering". The whole goal of taxation on emissions is go have " cleaner air " as a result, especially in cities.

People as individuals on the whole couldn't give a #£%t about emissions and will only give it a second thought when it effects them personally. In this case in the form of tax.

Unfortunately the richer people in society find this less of an issue than poor so will continue to spend spare income on a big polluting well built car.

Which is why people objecting to a capacity based tax system on environmental grounds is a load of nonsense.

No it isn't unfair. Current system taxes based on emissions. The whole goal is to end up with cleaner air and make it more financially rewarding to have a cleaner car.

It's not the governments fault companies are trying to cheat.

It is unfair, because the manufacturers are getting away with it! The current emissions data isn't worth the paper it's written on.

No it isn't though. Because I could get 1.0 quad charged beast putting out 350bhp+ and emitting tons of Co2 but still pay tiny tax...

Yes a more efficient / clean 2.0L engine would pay higher tax. How is that fair?...

Because a 1.0 producing 350bhp would be in the 4.0+ tax category, lol!

No only 1 manufacture has gotten away with it. You don't change the whole vehicle taxation legislation because one manufacture cheated.

All it means is they need to get strict with the tests.

Engines developed will then continue to get cleaner.

Well, they clearly are getting away with it, hence the difference between claimed mpg and co2 emissions, and actual mpg and co2 emissions.

Back