Technical Vented disc question

Currently reading:
Technical Vented disc question

Huwbishop

Get your own damn title.
Hi all. Are all 257 vented discs the same on the fiat range?

Some of the cars listed on fleabay are not compatible with others, e.g punto 1.4 16v does not fit punto gt (according to their listing) even though they are both listed as 257mm 4 stud discs. Did they make a different offset?

Cheers.

Cool, she is having mtec drilled and slotted discs with ultimax pads. All will be new and shiny. The Black Box which calipers did I have off you, there seem to be two types of pad listed for the marea?
Thanks for the offer on the pads and discs but everything is going back as new, because if I don't do it while it's off the road it will never get done.

So only de-badge and respray bonnet, fix hole in front panel, fabricate exhaust, find and fit rear discs and calipers, save up for rear tyres, remove windscreen and fix rusty spots, convert over to single wiper and clean left to do.

Oh and I forgot, sort sound system, fix oil pressure gauge, repair gear lever boot, clean rust off sills, and re-coat with stone chip.

Couple of hours and we will be sorted, why do I like Italian cars again?

jatkinson
I am with you there, I have the standard size ones on at the moment. They are miles better than non drilled, but there are still a couple of places I can get them to fade.
An extra 17mm and centre vent as well, should be more than enough.

I've had cars with stock, cheapo plain vented ones, Group N vented ones specced by J33EVO and vented cross drilled and slotted ones.

There's not, in road use, a lot in it. The cheapo ones are a little better at low speeds, the more expensive a little better at high speeds (and prone to shriek), the cross drilled and slotted ones make a pleasing whoosh noise.

Of course, that's not taking pads into account.

Hell, man, you'll be fine!

Fingers, I love you're optimism, and would agree as she weighs in at less than three quarters of a ton. But I am a kit snob. I only use pirelli tyres,ebc brakes, Fuchs oils and teng tools. Sadly pirelli don't make nice tyres in my size for the car, so I'm on falkens as I had them on a nova once, and they were good. I love the whoosh sound the drilled discs make.

I have just converted the cooling fan over to a honda fireblade fan and motor. Half the diameter, and the motor is tiny. But it spins twice as fast as the fiat one.

So now I have saved more space and weight. God I'm sad.

I will have a look in the laptop to see if I still have the video I took a while ago, which shows the sort of roads I drive on. I'm pretty sure my gopro ate it.
Basically everything from motorway to single lane with grass in the middle. Hills so steep you loose traction round corners even in the dry. Ad to that dickhead drivers, tractors and loose sheep and you have a recipe for disaster.

There is a place near my parents called llidiad nenog, where the locals think the rednecks from deliverance are intellectuals. Used to be used on a little race called the Lombard RAC rally. They also train a certain special forces branch of the armed forces up there.

Lovely roads, but deadly also.

The 257mm vented discs as fitted on the 100HP, 500, Doblo, Mito etc... is a different disc. Height of the disc is 0.2mm lower than the Punto GT disc so might work.

I use just plain old TRW discs and never had a problem.

Last edited:
fingers99 I don't know why I have never considered rainsports, would be ideal as I live in wales, and it never stops raining. Just ask The black box ;)
Duncan Ye I figured the newer cars would be different. When you say height of the disc, do you mean in profile (bell) or diameter? 0.2mm wouldn't be noticeable either way.

Cheers chaps, may have to put the calipers on hold for a week or two. The price of refinishing materials is killing me. Sodding rust.

There is a woman in work who grew up within sight of the Polski fiat factory where the cinqs were built. Her grandad actually worked on them around the time mine was made. I asked her to ask him if the corrosion warranty was still valid after 20years. I had a rude reply. :D

Back