Technical USB Socket?

Currently reading:
Technical USB Socket?

jmee54

I have bought a new MP3 player because my old one kept malfunctioning in my previous 500. Now I find my my new MP3 does exactly the same in my latest 500 Lounge.
Symptoms.
Sometimes it doesn't connect - dash reads device not recognised or device not supported.
Sometimes it connects ok but the next time it has reverts back to the first track, so I have Groundhog day for several days!
Sometimes it connects but suddenly drops the MP3 and reverts to the radio. It will sometimes then drop the radio and go back to the MP3!
I have a lot of music on the MP3 today it only loaded 60 tracks, but did start from where I left off, and then started at the beginning again when it reached the end of track 60!

As this has happened on two cars with 2 different MP3s I am guessing that I have bought anew MP3 for nothing and the fault is in the socket.
I have never had a usb socket fail on any device before, but the Fiat usb has no cover and is pointing upwards. It must be a dust and muck magnet.
Is this a common fault or have I been unlucky?
Is this a replacement job or can the socket be cleaned somehow?

Cheers John.

Hello,

Does it happen only when driving, or also when the car is stationnary?

Have you tried to connect the MP3 through a USB cable and not directly into the socket? The MP3 is relatively heavy to the socket. Perhaps something became loose...

You can try to hoover the dust from the USB socket and then inspect with a magnifying glass if the socket is clean.

You can also try to connect your phone to the socket with a cable, that could also give us some hints on what is the cause of the problem.

There are different USB covers available for example on aliexpress, or you could try to find them locally.

Thanks guys! How do I check the Blue and Me? I will try a cable and a hoover!

Certainly sounds like a connection issue. I've always felt that anything plugged into the USB socket other than a cable, or a very small USB flash drive, was pretty vulnerable to being knocked, possibly damaging it or the socket.

It's certainly not been knocked (my first thought) as I made sure all was clear and OK after I realised there was a problem. The usb is in a terrible place and facing upwards, with no cover, must collect all sorts of rubbish. I have researched how to remove it and that looks like a PITA too!

My car does have a sliding cover but I have a flash drive with my music permanently plugged in anyway so there's never been a chance for contamination.

Can you connect the MP3 with a cable to see if it still happens?

I was also going to suggest getting a can of circuit-bord/switch cleaner and giving it a good flush.

Back