Technical USB port on dashboard next to phone mount. Current ??

Currently reading:
Technical USB port on dashboard next to phone mount. Current ??

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell the the max current provided by the dashboard usb socket adjacent to the phone mount on a 2019 Cross 4 x 4 ?
Does it have enough current to charge an iphone ? I can´t find the spec´s in the manual. Thank you !

Yes, easily charges my iPhone (while also using Waze Sat Nav or Google maps) without issue. (That’s why it’s there and marked with a battery charge symbol 🙂)
My 2018 4x4 has a second USB socket in the glovebox. This seems unable to charge the phone so appears to be lower powered. I believe it can be used as a data port, while the one on the dash is power only.

Last edited:
Fiat USB sockets are usually 500mA which is USB 2.0 standards. So far I’ve not encountered anything higher but I suspect on the new models coming out they will move to USB-C as the rest of the motor industry did about 3-4 years ago. In which case USB-C delivers much more power

Fiat USB sockets are usually 500mA which is USB 2.0 standards. So far I’ve not encountered anything higher but I suspect on the new models coming out they will move to USB-C as the rest of the motor industry did about 3-4 years ago. In which case USB-C delivers much more power
I wonder if it depends on the radio unit fitted, as that’s what they connect to and derive power from. The Panda uConnect radio (2017-18 onward) has two USB connections on the back, in my car one to the charging socket and the other to the glovebox usb/Aux in box. As mentioned above, the former is power only and easily charges a depleted iPhone while also running Waze, which needs more than 500mA I suspect. The glovebox socket fails to charge an iPhone.

I wonder if it depends on the radio unit fitted, as that’s what they connect to and derive power from. The Panda uConnect radio (2017-18 onward) has two USB connections on the back, in my car one to the charging socket and the other to the glovebox usb/Aux in box. As mentioned above, the former is power only and easily charges a depleted iPhone while also running Waze, which needs more than 500mA I suspect. The glovebox socket fails to charge an iPhone.
There is USB and then there is USB battery charging. they both use USB-A connectors, but often the battery charging either doesn't carry data, or they are a hybrid which carries the data connection and has the current for battery charging.

I have muti-charging plugs that I use at home which can push 2.1A (10.5W) over a normal USB connection to charge your phone or power other devices, the requirement for a USB-A either 1.1 or 2.0 port is only 500mA and I think for any "data" connection this is all fiat provides. So in the second port on the U-connect system for charging only ?

I wonder if anyone can tell the the max current provided by the dashboard usb socket adjacent to the phone mount on a 2019 Cross 4 x 4 ?
Does it have enough current to charge an iphone ? I can´t find the spec´s in the manual. Thank you !

It kept my iPhone Mini 12 going fine while using Tomtom AmiGo. These days I use it to power my Tomtom Go Discover, again no problem.

Whatever it's rated at it's better than the ports in my last Lexus, which couldn't have powered either of these in use.

…So in the second port on the U-connect system for charging only ?
Yes, the socket on the dash by the phone holder (marked with a charging symbol, not a USB symbol) is power only in my case. It doesn’t respond to a memory stick. The one in the glovebox sees the data as a media source.

Later cars, those without the glovebox unit, the dash socket is a data connection and so may have less charging power? (I guess it’s connected on the radio to the ‘other’ connection now?)

Last edited:
Yes, the socket on the dash by the phone holder (marked with a charging symbol, not a USB symbol) is power only in my case. It doesn’t respond to a memory stick. The one in the glovebox sees the data as a media source.

Later cars, those without the glovebox unit, the dash socket is a data connection and so may have less charging power? (I guess it’s connected on the radio to the ‘other’ connection now?)
Yes you are right. The crowning glory of the two socket set up was when I bought a new stick for the glovebox socket. Problem is it needs a fairly short memory stick and this standard I bought one was wrecked when I shut the glovebox, so some care is needed. The new car seems to hve more power available strangely, but you cant charge and use the USB for media. I think the answer long termnis to add another USB for charging and wire it spearately so it charges all the time too.

Back