Technical urgently, belt noise, smoke and burning smell is bad right?

Currently reading:
Technical urgently, belt noise, smoke and burning smell is bad right?

OK,
shame the alternators are so awkward to get out and test..,
as PB says it MAY be a good idea to try a few short local journeys with it all back together .. and see what happens..,
your description of it spinning briefly then locking.... but would then spin freely the other way does sound as if something was in the way.. could even be a lump of carbon from the brushes..,
personally- if you can- run it locally see how you go.. as it's a PIA to change an alternator complete.. ( brush pack is easier..),
Charlie

OK,
shame the alternators are so awkward to get out and test..,
as PB says it MAY be a good idea to try a few short local journeys with it all back together .. and see what happens..,
your description of it spinning briefly then locking.... but would then spin freely the other way does sound as if something was in the way.. could even be a lump of carbon from the brushes..,
personally- if you can- run it locally see how you go.. as it's a PIA to change an alternator complete.. ( brush pack is easier..),
Charlie

Thanks! I don't need anyone twisting my arm to go for the easy option ;) and would have put it back on myself earlier tbh if I didn't think I needed a hand....

Just popped multipla alternator into ebay and among the listing is a freewheel pulley. This is also listed in Eurocarparts for their alternator.

Have a look at the pics on the link page. If your alternator has this freewheeling pulley, this could a) be the reason it went one way, then freed off, and b) could be the problem, rather than the alternator.

Sadly, more grovelling and head scratching.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...iat+multipla+alternator&_sacat=9884&_from=R40

Edit: Up to 02/2001 all the JTDs had a 105A alternator, but just before yours was built, the non a/c ones (yours) changed to a 90A unit. Should not be a problem fitting a 100/105A unit if that's what you find at the right price.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Did you run the engine without the belt? This would prove that the noise was related to this belt and its driven components. Although the pics of the wear marks suggest it is this belt.

From the vid, this sounds most like a typical alternator noise. Difficult to be certain, unless I had my ear in there. (Sadly not available mail order, I'm rather attached to them.) My suggestion would be to grab an alternator off ebay, ready for the final failure. See my link earlier.

Power steering would normally be a deeper noise, or a higher pitch squeal.

Did you run the engine without the belt? This would prove that the noise was related to this belt and its driven components. Although the pics of the wear marks suggest it is this belt.

From the vid, this sounds most like a typical alternator noise. Difficult to be certain, unless I had my ear in there. (Sadly not available mail order, I'm rather attached to them.) My suggestion would be to grab an alternator off ebay, ready for the final failure. See my link earlier.

Power steering would normally be a deeper noise, or a higher pitch squeal.
Yes I ran it without the belt and there was no noise, when I got the belt on today the noise came back within a minute...

So find an alternator off ebay, can I keep an eye on the battery's charge to see if it's going to fail or just drive with fingers crossed in hope then you think???

Lol, it can't be waterpump then, I think it sounds a bit like waterpump, but then it shouldn't be as it was done so recently...

I think waterpump is driven by the cambelt, so any noise from that would be there even with aux belt off.

Aux belt drives alternator and power steering, so noise must be with one of those, or the tensioner. You said alternator was the one that went tight and the noise sounds alternator.

Grab an alternator off ebay, there were some quite tidy ones in the list, quite cheap. Carry it with you and when it seizes, you have the fix. Do you have breakdown membership? They'll fit it for you if it breaks down and you have the spare with you. Alternatively, practice a remove and refit, then carry the tools. From other posts, I think it may be quite awkward to twist and remove through a small gap.

I think waterpump is driven by the cambelt, so any noise from that would be there even with aux belt off.
(y)

Aux belt drives alternator and power steering, so noise must be with one of those, or the tensioner. You said alternator was the one that went tight and the noise sounds alternator.
Ok, thanks!

Grab an alternator off ebay, there were some quite tidy ones in the list, quite cheap. Carry it with you and when it seizes, you have the fix. Do you have breakdown membership? They'll fit it for you if it breaks down and you have the spare with you. Alternatively, practice a remove and refit, then carry the tools. From other posts, I think it may be quite awkward to twist and remove through a small gap.
Yes just swapped from the AA to RAC, and from being under there this morning to check if it was turning there didn't seemt to be much room and quite tricky to get to, shall hop along to ebay now and buy one, thanks!!!

Slightly off topic, but somewhere you mentioned that you'd downloaded the eLEARN manual, but could not get it to run. I've downloaded it, then opened with WinRAR as recommended. This has created a "disc image", filename ending ".nrg" So I wrote the first disc, it just copied the .nrg file, so wasted a disc. Going back to the original .nrg image file, and choosing open, opened Nero, which this time apparently recognised it as a disc image and wrote a disc containing all the expanded files. It now runs from disc as expected.

Two options. You could follow that vague process and try again. Or, PM me your address and I'll post it to you. (Don't need to publish your address on here)

Slightly off topic, but somewhere you mentioned that you'd downloaded the eLEARN manual, but could not get it to run. I've downloaded it, then opened with WinRAR as recommended. This has created a "disc image", filename ending ".nrg" So I wrote the first disc, it just copied the .nrg file, so wasted a disc. Going back to the original .nrg image file, and choosing open, opened Nero, which this time apparently recognised it as a disc image and wrote a disc containing all the expanded files. It now runs from disc as expected.

Two options. You could follow that vague process and try again. Or, PM me your address and I'll post it to you. (Don't need to publish your address on here)

Thank you that's very kind, but I do have an e-learn cd that someone sent me a while back and it used to open fine but not since I installed Win7 on my laptop???

I'll try it on my Win7 netbook tomorrow.
You could try turning off your antivirus program while you try it. It may be blocking eLearn and not telling you.

Yes great idea (y) it must be something, rather annoying... just looking on ebay for a used alternator now, so will they be ok on mine wether they came from a multi with aircon or not, eper often confuses me more than it helps me

Sorry, went to bed. Early start.
On some vehicles the aircon alternator is mounted differently, so has different bracket/bracket positions. ePER does not show this well, but does not appear to show any other parts different between aircon/non-aircon.

The pics on Ebay all seem the same. If it looks right for yours, it should fit without problems. A higher output is nice to have, but will not be an issue.

Sorry, went to bed. Early start.
On some vehicles the aircon alternator is mounted differently, so has different bracket/bracket positions. ePER does not show this well, but does not appear to show any other parts different between aircon/non-aircon.

The pics on Ebay all seem the same. If it looks right for yours, it should fit without problems. A higher output is nice to have, but will not be an issue.

Thank you! Yes they do all appear to look exactly the same, will buy one today with a bit of luck

Bought one now off ebay, fingers crossed

Last edited:
Back