General Urgent advice on an auction buy tomorrow

Currently reading:
General Urgent advice on an auction buy tomorrow

Phil1

Hi, I'm looking to buy a 2011 Mylife tomorrow at auction. I've read that this has the 1.2 8v VVT engine, the VVT being to keep emmisions low as opposed to performance.

I've read a fairly long post on here (page 12 of the forum) about poor running issues on the Mylife engine, where a re-map may be needed, but it seems that quite a number of people have had problems and it has put me off a bit.

Can I check whether there are still issues with this engine, and whether it is best avoided. I'm thinking maybe an older 1.2 would be a better bet, but any urgent advice (before tomorrow's auction) would be appreciated !

While I love my Mylife if I able to return to the day I bought it I would have bought a slightly earlier car with the 60hp engine instead. Despite being in many Fiat 500s the 69hp engine in a Panda can be quite jerky in traffic. Before the warranty expired it was checked over by two Fiat dealers and since then I have replaced quite a number of parts to resolve the car without success.

All the best

Peter

Many thanks Peter, I may leave the car tomorrow and look for a 60bhp, as you suggest. When did they change from 60 to 69, and is there any easy way to tell the difference between them?

I have a 60hp Panda, and drove two 69hp 500s over a year with BSM. The 69hp engine is so much more powerful, and more economical, although the 60hp is very gentle and relaxing, as long as there is no hurry. It can be a little jerky at times at slow speeds throttle on/off. At these fast walking pace type speeds, a little clutch control manages it.

The 60hp is Euro IV emissions regs.
The 2011 69hp should be Euro V, which runs fine.
The issues with poor running and poor hill performance is with the most recent Euro VI spec, so the 2011 car should be fine.

rule of thumb for private buyer at auction, bid thinking you need to fit a new engine and gearbox, deduct that price from your max bid, then you don't force the prices up and if it turns out ok you have a bargain.
all too often i see private buyers at an auction thinking they have a bargain because they have won the car for only a few hundred below a forecourt price, that is not a bargain :nono:

I have a 60hp Panda, and drove two 69hp 500s over a year with BSM. The 69hp engine is so much more powerful, and more economical, although the 60hp is very gentle and relaxing, as long as there is no hurry. It can be a little jerky at times at slow speeds throttle on/off. At these fast walking pace type speeds, a little clutch control manages it.

The 60hp is Euro IV emissions regs.
The 2011 69hp should be Euro V, which runs fine.
The issues with poor running and poor hill performance is with the most recent Euro VI spec, so the 2011 car should be fine.

Nailed it. The 1.2 69bhp Panda is cracking - and also cheaper to tax. As you say, walking speeds and stop/go car parks require a non-last clutch foot to keep things smooth. Not bad, rarely different to most small cars.

Just back from a week in Spain driving a Euro6 500. Felt fine if slightly sluggish on some of their hills - specially setting off. However, coming back to the airport and picking up our 1.2 Panda - that felt much more flexible and strong.

Back