Technical Unknown coolant loss

Currently reading:
Technical Unknown coolant loss

jampot17

Hi . This is my first post so apologies if I don't get it right first time ! . Car is a 57 plate Grande Punto 1.3 diesel which we have had for around 3 weeks , All good up to now but a water sloshing noise was traced to low coolant level which took 2 litres to refill to the low mark . 3 days later same thing , then 3 days after that ,etc .I have run the car hard for a while then parked over a cardboard sheet and no leaks anywhere . I replaced the pressure cap today just in case as I couldn't think of any other reason for the loss . I know we have an airlock because the heater blows hot and cold and the temp guage wanders a bit but does not go too high .Car performs well with no apparent power loss , no oil in the water or water in the oil .Any suggestions please ??

Hi

A couple of ideas ,lift and check under carpet for coolant,if dry then heater matrix is ok..

Is there exhaust gas in the coolant ,does the coolant bubble with the engine running,if so head gasket failure .Have a look at the exhaust

Is coolant possibly escaping from the water pump ?

Have a good look around for staining where coolant could be escaping

Or have the system pressure tested

Thanks for the reply . The cabin area is completely dry and the engine runs with the pressure cap off with no apparent gases escaping .We have put a cardboard sheet under the car and there is no sign of any fluid loss at all , I did think of the water pump but guessed the cardboard test would show up any leak ,water or otherwise, from the engine .Have not had time to go far enough to check whether the new pressure cap is effective . I replaced that hoping the water loss was due to steam escaping although it was not showing any signs of it . Appreciate your help , thanks , Puzzled from Cannock !

Max to min is actually very little amount of coolant. My guess is the system has air and you just refilling. Keep an eye on coolant level for another week and see how it goes.

Also check again for leaks around thermostat, heater hoses connections radiator etc after a ride.

Also temp gauge should not move or pass half way.

Last edited:
Max to min is actually very little amount of coolant. My guess is the system has air and you just refilling. Keep an eye on coolant level for another week and see how it goes.

Also check again for leaks around thermostat, heater hoses connections radiator etc after a ride.

Also temp gauge should not move or pass half way.

they've added 2 LITRES,regularly..:eek:

it's going somewhere..;)

jampot17 - get an MOT station to "sniff" the coolant tank for exhaust gases..that's the best way to check HG failure :)

do NOT be tempted to put "redweld / similar" into the system,
it'll block EVERYTHING..leading to more expensive problems.

IF it's HG failure,
you MAY want to discuss this with the place you bought the car,
it'll be an expensive fix..( @ £500 to £800)

Charlie - Oxford

Last edited:
Ooooh my bad!

Missing 2L it's not good...!
Like I said check again for leaks with engine temp normal (not cold) and engine running.

Thank you all for your replies . I am acting on these suggestions today , car is being checked for contamination in the coolant and the cooloing system is being pressure tested at the same time .Visually I can't see anything untoward so the general concensus appears to be head gasket problem !! I will post any updates that are worth passing on . Thanks again .

Result ! Not good but the suggestions regarding head gasket were indeed correct . There was no physical sign because the coolant is apparently getting out through the exhaust as smoke / steam . Thanks for all the helpfull info . Regards to all , Brian

Missing two liters(!!!) eventually the result would be a blown gasket anyway even if this wasn't the original problem. :/

Back