General Ulysse 2.0 Turbo Diesel 53 plate - Will not cold start.

Currently reading:
General Ulysse 2.0 Turbo Diesel 53 plate - Will not cold start.

nijinski

My Ulysse will not cold start, if the outside air temp is below about 8c or 48f in old money! I have just had the glow plugs changed thinking this might have been the cause, but to no avail.

The only way i can start it is to place an old electric fan heater in the engine bay and blast warm air on the engine for about 15 minutes! Gets me mobile, but not an ideal situation!!!

Is there a sensor that activates above/below a certain temp, that might be faulty? I haven't got a clue.

When running my ulysse is a joy to drive, but it's just getting the damn thing started. Any suggestions/help most wellcome!

May be a bit obvious but are the heater plugs getting power? I would check that first, no point in changing them if they aren't getting current. How was the starting before they were changed?

Thanks for that, wish I'd checked that before having the plugs changed which was a pain of a job! How do i check whether the plugs are receiving current? Please don't tell me I have to have the plugs out again?!!! Before the weather started to get cold she started first time, every time...

hi, i have a similar problem, i have been told it might be the glow plugs, but how do you get about changing them, they look so bloody awkward.
thanks

My Scudo has been a mare to start the past few days - I'd be interested to hear any pointers on this.

I used to have a T4 - and on that, there was a relay that was famously the cause of many starting issues, due to it operating the glow plugs - does the Scudo (Ulysse) JTD have anything similar does anyone know?

Get a meter and check for current at the glow plug when ignition first switched on, if no meter even a 12V bulb and two wires will tell you, Don't forget power will be cut off after a little while depending on engine temp etc.

Back