Technical Ultimate spec street sleeper

Currently reading:
Technical Ultimate spec street sleeper

As some of may know me from old i thought i would get opinions!

I have 2 Cinqs, one is the concourse winning red van aaken turbo abarth and this will be fixed up in the spring.
I also have a almost standard Cinq Sporting (used to be daily drive then became a trackday car) that needs new engine and box so I am considering completely stipping it and building it back up from a shell into an Ultimate Cinq with current generation drivetrain and brakes, modern interior and instrumentation.
I would then use it a a fun weekend car and sometimes for commuting when I am not away on company business (I already have a daily driver Fiat Bravo T-Jet 150 Sport)

So I am thinking usability, refinement and a quality of fit and finish that you would expect in a modern car. Imagine if they were still making them what it would look like.

Obvious choice is a T-Jet engine, I love this engine in my Bravo - will it fit though?
Alternatively a twinair engine would be brilliant. No diesels being considered!!
I may also consider going electric - why not.

I am thinking seats from a Panda or 500 and custom fit dash with Blue and me type of bluetooth phone/audio capability.
Can be a 2 seater with multi purpose luggage zone (including dog transport). (or battery zone if going electric)

Decent brakes, coilover suspension and whatever dynamic improvements possible (arb front and rear for example)

Any comments or suggestions welcome. :devil:

Last edited:
Good look with that mate sounds good but at the same time absolutely crazy on the sane level as having a bonfire with your money lol if you pull thus off your a legend if you fail your skint and all for nothing. Good luck tho keep us posted on progression

Good look with that mate sounds good but at the same time absolutely crazy on the sane level as having a bonfire with your money lol if you pull thus off your a legend if you fail your skint and all for nothing. Good luck tho keep us posted on progression

the Cinq has sentimental value to me and I am looking for a project so time and money aren't really an issue.
want to create something unique (y)

I'm not saying your wrong mate just saying that your crazy lol but I hope all goes we'll with the project when you looking to start it?

I would rule out the twin-air conversion - you will struggle with the ECU issues seen as its a dedicated ECU - Id be suprised to hear of it even getting started let alone get it running properly

Think the ECU problems is a major reason why its not been done already - that and the cost of probably sorting it all out, money which could be better used elsewhere or on some other conversion

Photo shop ideas help you decide what you want you keeping exterior like paint ect? If not seen a Mat black one with white wheels at a car meet last year looked the muts nuts if I'm honest

It has been done before a few times, but with a Sei as far as I know, (which means it can be done with a Cinq).

Usual recipe is T Jet engine, Alfa gearbox (ex 500 Abarth) -- it would be nice to be able to use the Mitsubishi or FIAT box with equal length driveshafts, but it's probably just too damn big -- either chop out the front cross member and replace with a bar or dp a custom manifold to more or less sit the turbo on top of the gearbox.

Rear ARB is just simple engineering unless you want to go blade type (in which case it's slightly more complicated).

Brakes -- see Aaron and Emma's track car or mooch around -- if you use 15" wheels there's a lot of stuff that will fit, but everything gets heavy unless you can nick some Brembos off something..

Current technology and the future (excuse the pun) is EV so this will tie in really well with the theme of the project.

Looking around there have been examples of Cinq and Sei conversions done already so proves it is feasible and cost effective.

No issues with type approval or MOT, and car tax becomes free!

Easy to achieve similar levels of performance to a 1242 Cinq, and realistic to achieve turbo Cinq performance :devil:

I have already contacted someone that has made a EV Cinq based on a 900

I am tending towards a high performance electric vehicle, looks very feasible and cost effective

will make engine management etc very simple

IMHO, Electric cars are not as cheap an option as one might think. The batteries alone could be 2-5k.
Fiat did an electric Seicento so search for info on that.

The twin-air is not as economical as Fiat make out, but could be made to fit with the standard Ecu and Can-Bus system. A lot of work.

I would say, any NA re-built engine transplant with aftermarket Ecu done properly will be 2-5k. For a Turbo, probably 3.5-7k.

Last edited:
IMHO, Electric cars are not as cheap an option as one might think. The batteries alone could be 2-5k.
Fiat did an electric Seicento so search for info on that.

The twin-air is not as economical as Fiat make out, but could be made to fit with the standard Ecu and Can-Bus system. A lot of work.

I would say, any NA re-built engine transplant with aftermarket Ecu done properly will be 2-5k. For a Turbo, probably 3.5-7k.

sorry but :nutter:

Fiat-Cinquecento_Elettra_1992_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

Elettra.

But don't know where the dog will sit!

One futurologist (for want of better definition) recons that we will be able to engineer stuff at a molecular level in 50 years or so, synthesising petrol (or Ferraris) from water and mud.

Fiat have done electric, didn't work very well ;)
Back in 1990 they released the mk2 Panda Elettra, with the entire rear seats taken up with battery and an impressive 19hp electric motor which was later improved to 23hp :eek:
They didn't sell very many....
fiat-panda-elettra-for-sale-on-ebay_100383435_l.jpg

This isnt as daft as what people think........
I hope these may help a bit.

http://www.arc-ev-engineering.co.uk/

http://uk.mouser.com/

and if you look here the students are involved in an Electric motorbike and Mr2 projects..

https://www.facebook.com/NorthamptonCollegeEngineering?ref=br_tf

Good luck. ( i must admit, im a petrol head still )

exactly the sort of constructive post i was hoping for

i am researching the feasibility of doing a high performance electric Cinq, researching it.
If it proves to be too difficult or prohibitively expensive I may choose the proven way (and use a Tjet Engine per my first post).
But I kind of enjoy doing 'impossible' projects :cool: And be in no doubt, Shell VPower is in my veins.

Last edited:
Back