Technical Tyres :)

Currently reading:
Technical Tyres :)

Alexiloki

Hey all,

Since this is a forum of like minded peeps with the same motor in different specs and trim I thought I would give a little bit of personal experience and ask for the same from you all.

Between my last 2012 panda and my 2015 current one, plus my sisters 2015 that I regularly drive when she's out of the country, I've clocked up a fairly impress 135, 000 Miles in the latest panda.

During that time I've had a fair few sets of tyres and I've noticed the panda is quite sensitive to what tyres are fitted. Here's what I've had and my opinions, might be helpful in your next choice, who knows.

Goodyear Duragrip:

These where fitted to my first panda from the factory. Actually they were pretty reasonable! Tyre roar was quite pronounced but decent wear rate, good if not exceptional in the wet and very tidy in the dry. Wear was about 14k.

Pirelli P1 Verde:

These were very odd. Good point were that in the corners during wet and dry.... Exuberant driving, they stuck to the road like Brown stuff to a blanket. Very soft sidewalls which cost me two of them to potholes in as many months, wear wasnt great, lasted 11k, rolling resistance was pretty dire, mpg dropped by about 10%.

Avon ZT5:

These were good all rounders and suited the car fairly well. Wet grip was above average but could feel unsettled. Good ride comfort and soft sidewalls but not to the degree that they went to the wall as quickly as the Pirelli. Tidy in the dry but could squeal if pushed. Very good wear lasting nearly 21k.

Tigar Prima:

These were on the sisters car. Now these were surprisingly good for el cheapo specials but did have drawbacks. Wet grip was OK, nothing special but not anywhere near as bad as some Chinese cheap ditch finders. Dry grip was very impressive, took some real abuse and never let go or chirped in the corners. Downfalls were very hard ride, shocking fuel economy and lasted 10k, but all things considered there is a lot worse out there.

Wanli S1200:

NOPE! JUST NOPE! These were fitted by the Fiat dealer when my front tyres were low. Asked them to replace them with midrange or above and this is what I got. After kicking up a serious fuss they agreed to swap them with hankook but they couldn't get them in till the end of the week so was stuck with these monstrous dungheaps for a 1500 mile stint. Wet grip was ludicrous, pushing the nose wide in every corner, lots of steering correction needed, hard ride, dry grip was laughable, basically I had solid wheelbarrow tyres on! Fuel economy was utterly terrible and the car felt twitchy and on edge all the time. Also may I add required a truly biblical amount of balancing weights. Glad to get shot of them.

Hankook Ventus Prime 2:

Actually think these were some of the better tyres of had over the past few years. Dry grip was as good as anything I've had, wet grip was good, a little numb but never felt unsafe or twitchy, ride comfort was very decent and Wear took them to 26k before the car was sold and at that point they had 3mm left, would recommend without question.

Goodyear EfficientGrip:

These were fitted to my new panda from the factory and honestly I don't rate them. Very understeer prone in wet and dry, steering floaty and not very positive, wear I have no idea as I got rid after 2000 miles while on holiday in France in the pouring rain. Strangely the OE fitment of these tyres only manages a E grade for wet grip but the none OE fitment manages B grade.

Continental Premium Contact 5:

These replaced the good years and the difference is night and day. Dry grip is good but can push a touch wide if driving by the seat of the undies, wet grip is fantastic and is by far the best I've had on the panda, fuel economy is on par with the EfficientGrips. Only downfall of note, the ride can be a touch harsh but the grip on the slightly greasy and wet roads makes this a trade off ill accept, 5k on them so far and lost 1mm tread.

Toyo Proxes T1R:

Latest set on the sisters motor and she's had 3 sets so far. Dry grip is very impressive, suits the car well. Wet grip is very good, better than the tyre rating would lead you to believe but when worn over 60% the wet grip tanks! Fuel efficiency is below average but bordering on acceptable. Wear is meh, 11k but that's taking into account changing early due to above reasons. Best bit is that they are soft in the sidewalls to the point that they feel great around town but not so much that they are easy to ruin, nor do that make a mess of the handling in the twisty bits. Decent all rounder.

Michelin Alpin A4:

These are on my spare wheels as my winter runners, have lasted since 2012 and have approx 4mm of tread left after about 12k, after this winter I'm going to change them. Wet grip is a little more loose than the summers but not bad - predictible, dry grip is about the same, but being a country bumpkin and being on ungritted roads covered in ice, snow and frozen mud, this is where they come alive. Got me through the heavy snow in the Scottish Highlands with aplomb, handled the farms wet muddy fields and got me though the torrential rain last year when myself and the neighbour couldn't move our cars with summers off the track where we live. Not much more I can say.

Well there's some feedback, all totally up front and hope it may be useful to anyone who may need it.

How about you guys and girls, what do you run and how do you find them? :)

What tyre size are you running?

I had Hankooks on the 17in wheels I was running for a while and they gave excellent grip, wet or dry. Noisy though, and the 17s killed fuel econ and blunted performance.

I'm back on the std 14in rims and OE 175/65R14 Continental tyres. I don't think much of the Contis, but have only done about 8000km on them so will wait until they wear more before replacing them.

I'd rather spend up big on tyres than anything else, just not sure what to use next. Not a lot of performance tyre choice in the Panda's size. I might wait for some used 15in alloys from a wrecked Panda Lounge to come up, or some 15in Ritmo steelies. Many more tyre options with 15in.

I'm running 185/55R15, sister is on 195/45R16.

Which Contis do you have? I'm running premium Contact 5 and have been very impressed, however the wife's car came on ecocontact 5 and they were much shorter on performance but improved fuel economy. I'd rather have the drop then save 1% fuel!

I'm still on the stock Conti CrossContacts, but while there's plenty of tread on them they're getting a bit old and will probably start cracking this summer (manufacture markings place their build date in late 2012). I'm thinking of either upgrading to the Cross standards (Goodyear Vector 4 season V2), or trying out the newfangled Michelin CrossClimate which are more of a "regular" tyre that can handle a little bit of snow, which is all I need most of the time really.

I'm still on the stock Conti CrossContacts, but while there's plenty of tread on them they're getting a bit old and will probably start cracking this summer (manufacture markings place their build date in late 2012). I'm thinking of either upgrading to the Cross standards (Goodyear Vector 4 season V2), or trying out the newfangled Michelin CrossClimate which are more of a "regular" tyre that can handle a little bit of snow, which is all I need most of the time really.
I have those Mitchelins on my Subaru and like them a lot, and they do well in snow.

I have to say I've got the Vector four seasons gen 2 on my MG, tidy tyres, good in the wet too but balanced out by being a little jittery in the dry.

Heard some very good things about the Cross Climates too, I'm genuinely considering swapping my winter tyres out for them, but only if they can cope with the muddy fields at the farm too!

I have to say I've got the Vector four seasons gen 2 on my MG, tidy tyres, good in the wet too but balanced out by being a little jittery in the dry.

Heard some very good things about the Cross Climates too, I'm genuinely considering swapping my winter tyres out for them, but only if they can cope with the muddy fields at the farm too!

Im running vectors on the front of mine and totally agree with you,amazing performance in the wet but interesting when it's hot and dry....still I use the motorcycle when it's warm.

On previous cars Ive always gone with the Uniroyal rainsport 2 now superseded by the rainsport 3 which is an absolutely fantastic tyre both dry and wet but a little soft and only last 12-13k miles, the Panda Cross is new to me and Ive only had it just on 3 months and covered nearly 10k and it has the standard Vector 4 season 1st gen on but Im really impressed with them for what they are (M+S tyres) & they still look brand new, fuel economy I get a combined cycle of 51mpg (manually calculated) which isnt too bad I dont think think so Il go for the 2 gen when I replace them as they get a better review than the 1st gen.

On previous cars Ive always gone with the Uniroyal rainsport 2 now superseded by the rainsport 3 which is an absolutely fantastic tyre both dry and wet but a little soft and only last 12-13k miles, the Panda Cross is new to me and Ive only had it just on 3 months and covered nearly 10k and it has the standard Vector 4 season 1st gen on but Im really impressed with them for what they are (M+S tyres) & they still look brand new, fuel economy I get a combined cycle of 51mpg (manually calculated) which isnt too bad I dont think think so Il go for the 2 gen when I replace them as they get a better review than the 1st gen.

I've heard good things about uniroyals but it's one I haven't tried yet, I gotta say I like my Michelins but never say never :)

I've heard good things about uniroyals but it's one I haven't tried yet, I gotta say I like my Michelins but never say never :)
I got told about them many years ago and started using them initially on my modded astra work van 1.9cdti with 210bhp and NOS, Ive used them around the Nurburgring and Spa as well and I cant fault them, Unfortunately I cant get them in the current size I need for the Panda and I cant be bothered changing wheels to suit so Il opt for the 4 seasons gen 2 instead.

I'm running 185/55R15, sister is on 195/45R16.

Which Contis do you have? I'm running premium Contact 5 and have been very impressed, however the wife's car came on ecocontact 5 and they were much shorter on performance but improved fuel economy. I'd rather have the drop then save 1% fuel!

Mine are ecocontacts, although I couldn't see which version (couldn't see a number after the 'ContiEcocontact', but then I didn't have my glasses on :))

Whilst we are on the subject of tyres has anyone put a more substantial off roading tyre on a 4x4? I'm unconvinced the standard m&s ones will cope with muddy inclines though I will give them a go for now.

I would be very surprised if they hadn't tbh, have to say my 2WD panda handled a 30% gradient Hill on a muddy track round the back of the farm on winter Michelins however I wouldn't advise it! :) Gave me a few moments of terror lol

Conti Eco for me . I'm happy with them ( and I'm brand loyal because I always have Contis on my pushbike !) However, I have to admit I don't pay as much attention as the brilliant OP !

Whilst we are on the subject of tyres has anyone put a more substantial off roading tyre on a 4x4? I'm unconvinced the standard m&s ones will cope with muddy inclines though I will give them a go for now.

Someone was recently posting about ordering a set of really knobby off-road tyres. My guess is the standard CrossContact or Vectors would be fine for any extra-urban mud, but if you're seriously considering off-roading or greenlaning some knobbies would make a world of difference off road (though probably be awful on-road).

Yes it was for some greenlaning, I'll try it with the standard tyres fitted first and see how I get on. Have some proper knobblies on the old panda and they are noisy and a bit wayward on road. It's always a compromise but I will fit pure road tyres eventually to an alternative set of alloys, knobblies on a set of old doblo alloys and keep the original set for winter use.

Back