General Tyres

Currently reading:
General Tyres

Someone has given me some alloys with 195/60 R15's tyres, would I be able to put my 185/65 R15's on to these?

I might have to replace my front wheel hub is this easy to do? anything i need to know before I start the job?

The damage was done a while back after having new front tyres, I drove out the tyre place and front passenger side wheel fell off. He replaced wheel bolts and said it would be fine. I have just had wheel off and all the threads on the bolts are rounded so im guessing hub needs to be replaced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes to the tyres question.

As for the hub, I would be telling the tyre shop THEY need to replace the hub :eek:

If you get a second hand hub, as long as the bearing is fine it's straightforward.

Undo bottom ball joint (depending on if it is original equipment or copy, the bolt should be around 16 or 17mm).

The track rod end is a similar affair.

The strut is held on by two 19mm bolts with matching nuts.

The drive shaft nut is around 35mm.

The caliper is held on (usually) by 7mm allen key bolts and the carrier is held on by 18 or 19mm bolts.

I spray the hose & ABS wire rubbers with some WD40 to aid easy removal. They just pop off, but can be tight.

Be careful when you pull the hub from the shaft, try not to let the shaft come out or the gearbox oil will leak. It isn't a problem if you have some spare oil, but it can be annoying....

I changed the clutch recently, here is my hub disconnected form the strut & drive shaft....but bottom ball joint & track rod end still attached.

Hope all goes well, but any problems, just ask ;)

Doh! The calipers on mine are 13mm bolts, not allen key :rolleyes:

I do so many cars, I can't remember what holds what together :D

Thanks for the reply Andoo. I'm going to the tyre place tomorrow but I doubt he will pay, but its worth a try. He did install new wheel bolts but its seems that was just a short term fix!

If they charged you for providing a service, and then they damage your property, they are responsible for the cost of repairs.

I would go to your local CAB (Citizens Advice Bureau) and tell them what happened, ask what is best course of action, then scare the sh*t out of this chancer.

I would tell him if you provide a second hand (or new part) he should at least fit it for free since he didn't tighten your wheel bolts up! He could have caused serious injury or death to you or a third party if the wheel had came off at motorway speeds :eek:

Back