Technical Turn off your engine warning when crawling in traffic.

Currently reading:
Technical Turn off your engine warning when crawling in traffic.

Gareth y

Worrying occurence today on mmy rather old fiat 500 today, but in story form....
Last couple of days when starting my car ive sensed almost a trickling sound before I set off, may be unrelated to what a happened today. While crawling on the dual carriageway today out of nowhere came a beep, the engine warning light lit and the main display said something akin to 'turn off engine, heat too high'. As the traffic was at a standstill I was able to so that for a minute or so. This has never happened before. starting again the temp gauge was at exactly halfway, drove of slowly and it rose to about two thirds over the next couple of minutes but no warning to turn off. As the traffic cleared I was able to drive home at around 50 mph with the temp never going above halfway. Upon turning off the car j could hear a fan running for about 10 seconds after the key was removed. I'll admit I've yet to change my water pump even though I'm at 120 thousand miles which I know I should do. Could it be that? Or maybe just needing coolants topped up. J have a full service every year. Any advice appreciated.

Concur with the above statements the sloshing noise is water&air moving around in the heater matrix! the fact there is air in there points to a leak somewhere water out = air in! .
The most likely suspect is the THERMOSTAT!! it is well known for the failure of the plastic pipe that feeds the heater matrix! first signs are the sloshing noise and the "heat to high" message! however when driving at normal to medium speeds on the open road it acts as normal until the plastic pipe fractures completely causing catastrophic failure!

At the earliest chance check the thermostat and that pipe!! and id advise not driving the car again until you have!- the thermostat is easy to obtain online be sure to get an aftermarket one with A METAL PIPE instead of the stock plastic one! thats it problem cured!
However re your millage! i agree its way past time you changed the water pump!! and if doing tha,t do the cam belt as well whilst its striped down!- its a false economy to only do one job whilst its all apart!

Update.... filled up the coolant today, turned on the engine, coolant fell which I understand is expected, undid the plastic bleeding screw. Eventually coolant starts coming out of the hole as expected. Did the screw up and, the top of the thing snaps off. 🤔 anyone know of a source for replacement ones? Found plenty of BMW ones on amazon but not fiat 500

Yep, had the washer in my hand , seems to have disappeared, havent a clue how the screw is coming out.

I had the exact same problem I solved it by replacing the whole pipe.
However once the old one was off, I drilled down the center of the bit stuck in, rammed a flatblade screwdriver in and it simply screwed out.
I note the new bleed valve has a slot on the head the old one didn't have, always use a screwdriver to turn it as the shearing effect is much lower compared to the outer of the of the valve head

Make sure the drill bit is really sharp/brand new, you don't want to screw the bit into the water system
Key areas for leaks radiator heater matrix thermostat and metal pipe behind exhaust manifold

Last edited:
Back