General turbo change

Currently reading:
General turbo change

iancookie

i'm in the process of changing my vl37 to a vl38 and was wondering what the best way to go about it is?

i've stripped away all the heat shields so i can get a better look at the turbo and manifold... is it a case of replacing the WHOLE unit...turbo and manifold connections? or can i simply get away by uncoupling the turbine from the manifold and sliding it inside the old one?

seems like its gonna be a HUGE job if i'm replacing the whole thing.

i understand the manifold/exhaust sections are the same on both and it is just the turbine shaft that's different and the inside geometry of the actual turbo...?

local garage quotes about £100 to swap my turbo, i would also get an oil and filter change when you fit the new one. Its not worth the trouble to fit it myself for the money

did it myself yesterday, used the existing exhaust housing. didnt take too long really but there are a couple of fiddly torx screws on the bottom oil feed.

the car drives totally different than with the VL37...really want a remap now

You should make good power from that vl38 turbo , as i did ! before i had my car mapped it made 167bhp with that turbo on and no remap.

But it was probably a combination of having straight through exhaust , forge front mount , and a panel filter !

Overall i made 192bhp with 258ftbs of torque !

yeah it feels a bit slower if anything with the new turbo, old one used to kick in at about 1500rpm but with the vl38 you have to rev it quite a bit more up to around 2500-3000

Back