Tuning 2.0 20v n/a

Currently reading:
Tuning 2.0 20v n/a

Hi guys.....Sorry for the wall of text :eek::eek:

Been trawling through old threads and just trying to compile a list of mods and stages for the 20v n/a.:confused:

Want to keep a n/a and improve the performance but keeping block and keeping costs reasonable, so still a hgt at heart. But some threads have no outcome....

First stages are filter, exhaust and fc chip it seems to be.....so 160-165bhp???

Does bore size make any difference, presume if got 2.75" system then custom down pipe req'd?? At what point does manifold become restrictive.

Decat maybe...yes illegal/mot etc etc but does it make a power improvement....moves the power up the revs/loss of midrange right?

Intake Mods using the 20vt intake with injectors/rails...but is the plenum used also? So new MAF req'd (vectra v6 or rover 220sdi ?? maf mentioned previously) or will the normal maf(n/a) be up to job if not going too wild. Boring out throttle body but surely only beneficial on turbo as don't need the air volume on n/a ? Also at this point an adjustable fuel reg(3.8bar?), will fuel pump still be up to the job.. Would it need a rolling road set up at this point?
Is any of this even worth doing?

Stilo Abarth parts are used in the turbos but how about the n/a....when using the crank do you still need custom pistons or will stilo parts go into 2.0 block with out mods?? The head has bigger valves and i believe is a straight swap but what about cams, are they any better than 2.0.....presume 2.0 will go into stilo head. Any other options on fiat/lancia or alfa based cams that will work . valve springs from 20vt maybe. mine non vis so ecu different. At what point will stilo head actually be worthwhile mod. Costs wont allow £600plus upwards on cams.
Ported and polished...?

ECU mods Dastek piggyback ecu's (unichip ??) were often used(non vis) and can be purchased on fleabay for moderate sum...any other makes that will work...and obviously this will have to be set up professionally. But at what point will this stage be reached.

So presuming i'm running 160-165bhp with chip,filter and pipe&decat..what is the next stage??

What would be req'd for getting towards 180bhp.....just not sure on what actually gives results. What about after this stage.

Sorry if all this is old news but not sure on what works and is actually beneficial.

many thanks in advance....:worship::worship:

To my mind, developing an NA lump to the point where it makes less power than a stock turbo engine is plain daft unless you're constrained by racing regulations. The expense! The unreliability! The getting your doors blown off!

Either fit the 2.4 5 cylinder lump out of a Stilo Abarth, or the 5 cylinder tub out of a coupe.

It's a mk1 hgt so throttle cable....is the stilo not fly by wire, non compatible ecu....how would you get round this?

Know won't get anywhere near turbo power but want to keep the old girl n/a, not after stupid power just want to see gains and learn along the way.

Back