Tune-up Help Needed

Currently reading:
Tune-up Help Needed

kkemerait

Last night I rebuilt my weber 32 ADFA on a 1978 124 Spider. I am NOT a mechanic and while I followed the instructions carefully, I certainly could have screwed something up.

Symptoms:
1. Very rough Idle
2. Dies after 2 or 3 minutes
3. Takes 5-10 sec, for timing to return to base after accelerating (normal?)
4. Very long lag when pushing on accelerator before car actually has any power..can stall on small hill then all of sudden gets big burst of power (after hold down accelerator for maybe 15-20 seconds)..after that seems ok

Current Settings:

1. Timing 4 degrees BTDC
2. RPM 900
3. Dwell 52
4. Main Jets (125/140) (no change from original)
5. Air (170/185) (no change from original)
6. Venturi (3.5/3.5) (no change from original)

Any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated, I'd even be glad to record the engine sounds or take photos if needed. Thanks again!

Couple of things you could check.
Air Leaks..From the mating faces of carb to manifold, also the carb spindle can draw air, and any vacuum pipes that are torn or displaced.
Float level..I think it should be 5.5mm - 7.5, so a 6mm drill bit would be a good guide. Measured from the bottom of the float to the body of the carb, gasket in place and in the vertical plane.
Timming..Not too sure here the uk spec cars are 10 - 12deg, but the us spec cars I think are 0 deg. And yes the timming marks will take a few seconds to return to return to a static mark, the timming will advance when reved.

Back