Technical Trekking Gear Box swap

Currently reading:
Technical Trekking Gear Box swap

Ben60

Hi all , I have a 2013 Panda Twin Air Trekking. I like in a rural part of North Spain where our access and alot of the roads are both narrow and steep. The Panda is much better than I thought it would be for long journeys and is fun to drive but it is let down by its gear ratios which seem to be geared for fuel consumption and not for real world driving. Its not a question of traction its just that 1st is not low enough and despite plenty of low down torque it just dles not like stating on a slope which we need to do to get up to our house. Although the T+ may be useful on a slipperly surface it does not help on a steep slope as the problem is not traction per se , but the lack of a low enough ratio.

Does anyone know if a 4x4 gearbox can be swapped in? Not to convert to 4wd but to get a lower ratio.

many thanks

Ben

Hi all , I have a 2013 Panda Twin Air Trekking. I like in a rural part of North Spain where our access and alot of the roads are both narrow and steep. The Panda is much better than I thought it would be for long journeys and is fun to drive but it is let down by its gear ratios which seem to be geared for fuel consumption and not for real world driving. Its not a question of traction its just that 1st is not low enough and despite plenty of low down torque it just dles not like stating on a slope which we need to do to get up to our house. Although the T+ may be useful on a slipperly surface it does not help on a steep slope as the problem is not traction per se , but the lack of a low enough ratio.

Does anyone know if a 4x4 gearbox can be swapped in? Not to convert to 4wd but to get a lower ratio.

many thanks

Ben
If ground clearance not a problem fitting lower profile tyres or smaller diameter wheels would reduce gearing cheaply.

Back