Technical Trailer for Classic 500 (NE USA)

Currently reading:
Technical Trailer for Classic 500 (NE USA)

Mattia Butera

I am looking to attend the Fiat FreakOut in New Hampshire this summer (https://fiatclubamerica.com/freakout-2023/) and am looking for some advice on trailering, as I anticipate a 7 hour drive from NJ. I have trailered the car before, but I hoping to find a more secure way this time around. I had previously used a 6x12' Uhaul trailer with ramp (as others have done on the forum) but the clearance to get it on was about an inch on either side and it was quite difficult to secure the car - luckily it was only a 40 minute drive. The tracks on a traditional car transporter from Uhaul or Ryder are too narrow for the 500's track.

If someone knows where I could rent a better trailer for June 7-11 (dates of the Freakout), I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Mattia
(below is the picture of my 1972 500L when we picked it up from the port of Newark NJ)
IMG_3495.jpeg

I am looking to attend the Fiat FreakOut in New Hampshire this summer (https://fiatclubamerica.com/freakout-2023/) and am looking for some advice on trailering, as I anticipate a 7 hour drive from NJ. I have trailered the car before, but I hoping to find a more secure way this time around. I had previously used a 6x12' Uhaul trailer with ramp (as others have done on the forum) but the clearance to get it on was about an inch on either side and it was quite difficult to secure the car - luckily it was only a 40 minute drive. The tracks on a traditional car transporter from Uhaul or Ryder are too narrow for the 500's track.

If someone knows where I could rent a better trailer for June 7-11 (dates of the Freakout), I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Mattia
(below is the picture of my 1972 500L when we picked it up from the port of Newark NJ)
View attachment 419741
Pity that you live so far away, or you could have borrowed my trailer, which I had specifically made for my 500 (and, at the VERY last moment, big enough that my son could fit a modern 500 on it, which he is going to use as track-day car!). The measurements that I had my trailer built to were 11ft long (3.5 metres) and 5ft 7in(1.7 metres) wide DECK area---hope that these measurements help

Wow, sounds like an awesome project! Thanks for measurements. I will consider it for the future!

Hey @Mattia Butera! Sorry for the late reply, but I think I found a decent solution for you (and what I will use in the future).

Yesterday, my buddy used the 6x12' Uhaul trailer without ramp for his 1964 Honda and it worked very well! This trailer doesn't have the sides at the back, and instead of the long ramp, has a short tailgate that is only about 18" tall. If you can park on an steep enough incline, the tailgate is enough to load the car. This worked at his house, but we used a couple of aluminum ramps (like these) to unload the car at the track, where we couldn't get the angle right. Worked great both times!

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 57
Hey @Mattia Butera! Sorry for the late reply, but I think I found a decent solution for you (and what I will use in the future).

Yesterday, my buddy used the 6x12' Uhaul trailer without ramp for his 1964 Honda and it worked very well! This trailer doesn't have the sides at the back, and instead of the long ramp, has a short tailgate that is only about 18" tall. If you can park on an steep enough incline, the tailgate is enough to load the car. This worked at his house, but we used a couple of aluminum ramps (like these) to unload the car at the track, where we couldn't get the angle right. Worked great both times!

Hope this helps
Thanks for the idea! May end up doing that in the end. Awesome Honda by the way and so is the Ducati Cinquecento - definitely following along on that build!

Hey Mattia, I'm from North Jersey and just picked up a cinquecento! Following .

Last edited:
I move my car from Washington to Texas on my tilting snowmobile trailer. Loading was pretty easy with the tilt feature. The two sandbags were to get a better CG on the trailer to help it trail the car more smoothly. The trailers cost very little and my car weighs about what a pair of snowmobiles weigh.

Attachments

• fiat.jpg
    fiat.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 60
Back