Top Gear

Currently reading:
Top Gear

personally i haven't mate and neither do i want to but my cousin has on 2 seperate occassions and in her words 'he's an arrogant arsehole that's put himself on a pedastool'

And how many times have you met him in person then :confused: :rolleyes:

I did once and he was being followed everywhere by minions, like the leader of a cult. met the 5th gear lot at ace too vicki was ok to jim, the hippy bloke seemed a genuine guy buy the tiff bloke was a knob. producers feed us for free :slayer: so we didn't need to thump anyone for that, but they could have done with a thump for cutting out the charity bit.

I've got to say that I'll be disappointed to lose Top Gear. I know we can still see it on Dave, but to be honest I've seen them so often they've become pretty boring.

But, to me I can never watch another car programme on television again that doesn't feature the unholy trinity. To listen to people banging on about one boot capacity versus another or how much the steering column adjusts more on one compact executive than another would just about drive me to drink. The point of Top Gear is that it's more light entertainment than factual motoring programme and if you want to know about how family friendly the latest Korean hatchback is there are plenty of magazines in W. H. Smith's to satisfy that particular desire.

The entertainment is that here we have three middle aged blokes who really don't care if they look a prial of complete prats, which is totally at odds most people in the media. They keep/kept to their motto of "Ambitious, but useless" whether it was Hammond sliding down a ski jump or May naked in an Aston without air conditioning or Clarkson just generally looking a numpty.

As for his alleged use of the "N" word, I don't use it and I don't like it being used, but don't forget the word is a corruption of the word "niggra" which in turn is a southern US state pronunciation of the word negro, which, as far as I'm aware, is a legitimate description of people of African descent.

When Guy Gibson the leader of 617 Squadron at the time of the "Dam Buster" raids had a dog called Nigger nobody batted an eyelid. When my Grandmother once referred to a brown coat she had as being nigger brown, nobody batted an eyelid then either. The reason? The use of the word was not meant to be insulting or derogatory. You could use the word daffodil when referring to somebody and it could be an insult.

If you want further evidence, does anybody remember this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-removes-part-of-their-humanity-10010506.html

During my late teenage years anyone on the general "liberal left" was telling anybody who'd listen that you shouldn't call Afro-Caribbean people people black because of the negative connotations of that word, that we should instead call them coloured. Now it would seem that coloured is out and black is back in. Still, everybody needs to make a living; even members of the "liberal left".

It's my belief that Clarkson's comments about and criticisms of that group and the BBC in general is why he's got the push. In other words the "Establishment" were just waiting for him to make one mistake too many, and now he's made it.

There's a saying that in the end we get what we deserve, and now Clarkson's gone we're liable to get the sort of homogeneous television by committee that we deserve.

I'm old school, & dissapointed to see Top Gear go, my wife also. As said, Jeremy Clarkson is basically an actor & the shows format wakens the little boy in all of us true petrol heads who just want to have fun. Pretty basic stuff I'll admit, & fair enough not to everyones taste & he's fair game for some not to like what he does. That said it's quite extraordinary the lambasting he gets on here.

Forums are funny places at times. Sitting behind the safety of your keyboard spouting sheer hatred about someone you never met. Clarkson is big enough & ugly enough, with reportedly £50mill' in the bank to worry about a few blokes on a car forum, but to me it just sums up part of the keyboard warrior culture of today. Certainly there are certain folk on telly that irritate the hell out of me, but I don't "hate" anyone, just a grumpy old git at times;)

Differences of opinion are healthy, & debating a subject rationally is the way to go. Sadly, discussion forums of all sorts are subject to all types of hate attitudes & aggressive opinions. Some turn out to be sad lonely people & are prosecuted for their vile bletherings. OK I was pointing out extreme cases in other places & bit off topic.

Aye, you just never can tell. I don't do the hero worship thing, but I had the chance to meet Jackie Stewart at the 1973 Scottish Motor Show. I smoked at the time & packs JP fags were dished out. Fag packet in hand I spot Mr Stewart coming towards me with babes on either side of him. Jings I thought here's a living legend. Can't remember what I actually said, but I asked him for his autograph on my fag packet......Walked straight past me, looked through me, not so much as a word....Bang! (sound of bursting balloon) All I got was the whiff of perfume from the JP babes..:(

Weirdly my mate Brett has done a show with Johnny Smyth and Tom Ford (Brett is on the left) and Johnny was really really nice to them. Even took them out to dinner a couple of times while Mr Ford who was dead on to us at the 5thGear filming in the Ace Cafe was a complete Alfa Male Prat.

Attachments

• 1427626251117.jpg
    1427626251117.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 33
Tom Ford & Tim shaw double act never really worked for me on 5th gear. The big hair & facial fungus just was not right. I found both of them a bit irritating. That said in Car SOS, I know it's a bit cheesey, Tim Shaw comes across alright.

Then again this is only my thoughts & have never met them. I've heard things about other car programme presenters. The one that sticks in my mind was about Tiff *Needle*. A car club member up here I got talking to told me they had been down south on a jolly & met some of the 5th Gear team. Tiff *Needle* was so in love with himself & was really patronising talking down to people who dared ask him any questions. Second hand information I know, I've always found him highly irritating.

I don't really care what all these people are like in normal daily circumstances, I have members of my family who are rude ignorant and obnoxious but not every day... all I know is that TG was great fun and beautifully filmed, the Burma special deserved an award in my opinion and it'll be sadly missed.

My nine year old daughter laughed her head off at the 'peugeot' episode and said its sad that Jeremy won't be acting silly anymore..... says it all for me really.

Actually when you think about it, the fans in some cases pay these peoples wages. Coming across as rude or arsey doesn't do their reputation any good at all. I'm way past wanting to meet any car programme presenter & have never done the hero worship thing, but there are fans out there that will travel & spend money to meet them. I think the least they could do is be civil to their fans.

Latest sad news about the Top Gear saga is that Tony Hall BBC chief has received death threats.

While I think it's a shame to see the demise of Top Gear as we all know it. There is no place for this type of people. What did I say about keyboard warriors? This type of extremist action only makes things worse.

JC has enough money to make the show then tout it round the channels. Someone like discovery channel will pick it up and the production team are respected enough to get the loans of cars etc.

Back