General To gasket seal or not to gasket seal

Currently reading:
General To gasket seal or not to gasket seal

That is the question....

So I'm about to put a new rocker cover (cast) and gasket on.

Haynes says don't use an additional gasket sealant but my dad and others on here seem to.

What's best practice?

I would seriously like to not have to do this again!

Cheers

Oz

Hi Oz,

The problem is that unless you do hardly any miles at all you will have to adjust the tappets at some time.:mad: so the cover will have to come off. The material the gasket is made of is quite malleable and I find you can re-use it a few times even without any sealant. I would advise against using anything other than a light coating of oil or grease before tightening the gasket.

The key seems to be getting the knack of not overtightening it. When doing it, have the presumption and confidence that it will seal even when the nuts are only slightly nipped up, use nylocs with a flat steel washer under and a red fibre washer under that. Take down one nut until it just touches the steel washer, do the same with the other, then a bit more of a turn on each and finally, using a ring spanner with your hand right up near the nut so you have minimal leverage, give it a final nip.

Hi Oz;
Totally agree with Peter, NO gasket goo, just a light smear of grease. 2 extra pieces of advice that I would add---use the 'ruberoid' gasket, not the cork; the cork gasket is very easily split, and then can't be re-used. And when you fit the rocker-cover, take care regarding how close to the carb it is---some of the covers need a fair bit of 'fettling' (and even a bit of 'fettling' on the carb at the mixture screw housing) to allow the carb to sit properly. Mine did and I am mighty glad as to how thick the rocker-cover casting is.
banghead.gif

Yep it doesn't fit. In fact it's not even close to fitting around the carb.

They can't seriously expect you to start machining away brand new parts to stop them clashing?

Welcome to the world of 'pattern' parts--I hate them with a passion, but sadly, unlike the 'VW World' where the market is HUGE, we have to live with what we can get. And yes, in answer to your question, you will have to spend the next few happy hours 'fettling' away---cynical? moi/
banghead.gif
confused.gif

Back