General To Buy or not Buy

Currently reading:
General To Buy or not Buy

Yanktank

Hi all:

I am new on here and very close to purchasing an X19. I found it hidden away in an oldshed for several years with a tarp over it. It has a mint condition body. No brakes. Small amount of rust on one side of engine area. Looks easy to repair. I have the skills and mig welder.I know nothing of these little cars, except I likle their appearance.
Q.1. Are they a a classic yet, early '70's model I think 1300 engine.
Q.2. Are they sought after?
Q.3. Are parts an issue?
Q. 4.Is there an Aussie section of this forum?
Q.5. Will it be fun to drive

Kel

1. Classic - definitely and prices are steadily rising. My last car cost £1000 to buy 10 years ago. The same car in the same condition would set me back about four times that. Even taking inflation into account that is a pretty good increase. However the caveat on that is the car can be expensive to repair in terms of the monocoque and a £300 basket case would still cost way more than £4000 to get into good shape.

2. Horses-for-courses - not everyone likes them and they don't have the general appeal of other cars from the 70s but most people who've owned one would gladly have another. The small engine and spritely performance fits in with the modern car ethos so the appeal is more general now than it was 15 years ago.

3. Like all classic cars some parts are unobtainable but there is a pretty good, reliable supply of second hand parts available. Many parts were borrowed from other models to start with anyway. All of the major mechanical parts can be replaced new still with the possible exception of the suspension arms and engine castings.

4. There is a strong Aussie contingent here but I'm not aware of any special section unless them are keeping it hidden from us poms.

5. With the suspension straight and the engine running sweet the car is a delight to drive. Classic mid-engined handling in a small package. Just make sure it all works properly before you get carried away :)

Thanks for the wonderful lot of information. It was very informative. I am really keen to pick this little car up. It will be a lot different to drive than my Chrysler 300C :D. It will make a great weekend hobby car, I reckon. Speak of poms..how's the cricket jimbro1000.:cry:

Hi Yanktank,

There's always plenty of good advice to be had here. As you're in Oz, you should join the Turbo124 forum. There is a strong X1/9 following on there...

Don't know much about cricket, how is the Tri Nations going???

Cheers R
Thanks for that info...I will check that site.
Not sure what Tri Nations is. I think it maybe rugby? You may not be aware, that rugby is only played in 2 Australian capitols. Aussie Rules Football is the real national footy here. It's called AFL. I am only allowed to post URLs once I have at least 5 posts. So google "afl.com.au".
Cheers Kel

Hi Kel, I suspect you're a Vic by the sound of it! The VFL only became the AFL in 1990, the ARU was founded in 1949.

I lived in SA for 5 years, NT for 2. I do admit I have watched a bit of aerial ping pong now and then, but Rugby Union is the game to follow!

Cheers R

Gday Yanktank :wave: from a fellow Aussie....heres one bit of useful information for this forum: Dont mention the war ;) cos otherwise someone mentions TriNations :cry:

Where abouts in the Land Down Under are you?

As for the car :ROFLMAO: If its in halfway decent nick, buy it, and figure out the rest later. It will be the best decision you have made (y)

Gday Yanktank :wave: from a fellow Aussie....heres one bit of useful information for this forum: Dont mention the war ;) cos otherwise someone mentions TriNations :cry:

Where abouts in the Land Down Under are you?

As for the car :ROFLMAO: If its in halfway decent nick, buy it, and figure out the rest later. It will be the best decision you have made (y)

Yackandandah..I bet you have never heard of it.
Hey "rachaeljf" I really do try and appreciate rugby..but no matter how hard I try, my missus threatens to leave me if I stoop that low.

i had no idea that there are so many members in UK. I have a friend that works for cambridge university in their dyno facility. He's a fiat buff. he may even be one of those little bubbles on your link.

Back