Technical Timing tension pulley

Currently reading:
Technical Timing tension pulley

jidebl

Good day everyone please I bought used ducato 2.8idtd last year October and did snap timing belt four times up till today we did check many component believe to be the the issue and I narrow it to tension pulley, please my tension pulley is not movable at all when engine is working, I mean the tension roller is screw tigh to the engine, rigid and not movable, is it how is supposed to work please help me out
The attached picture is the tension roller I am talking about

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221017-055144_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017-055144_1.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20221017-052821_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017-052821_1.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20221017-055201_2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221017-055201_2.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi

When you fit a new belt, the tensioner bolt must be loose so that the belt tension is set.

After you have turned the engine over two times by hand to settle the belt, the tensioner bolt is tightened and the tensioner does not move any more.

Good day everyone please I bought used ducato 2.8idtd last year October and did snap timing belt four times up till today we did check many component believe to be the the issue and I narrow it to tension pulley, please my tension pulley is not movable at all when engine is working, I mean the tension roller is screw tigh to the engine, rigid and not movable, is it how is supposed to work please help me out
The attached picture is the tension roller I am talking about
I have rebuilt many of these SOFIM 2.8 engines in Iveco Daily vans etc.
On those the tensioner was able to swivel on it's mounting to enable the strong spring in the water pump body to push the belt out to it's correct tension and then there was a nut to tighten to lock it into the correct adjustment.
So it sounds to me as though the washers on the large stud that the tensioner swivels on are either missing or wrongly fitted.
Here is a photo of Ducato Timing guide, if it helps.

Attachments

• DSCF0529.JPG
    DSCF0529.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 41
Were you able to tighten the nut to the correct torque when installing the tensioner? Haven't done this tensioner but with 1.4 Fire there was a bit of a learning curve to it. I learned that it needed a new self-locking nut with washer, the old one was very loose and I was over-tightening it to the tensioner and it always reset the tensioner. :eek:

I have rebuilt many of these SOFIM 2.8 engines in Iveco Daily vans etc.
On those the tensioner was able to swivel on it's mounting to enable the strong spring in the water pump body to push the belt out to it's correct tension and then there was a nut to tighten to lock it into the correct adjustment.
So it sounds to me as though the washers on the large stud that the tensioner swivels on are either missing or wrongly fitted.
Here is a photo of Ducato Timing guide, if it h

Thanks a lot it really help, please where do I buy the manual like the one you attached or is their a place to download it, thanks once again

Hi

I think this is the "Gates Timing Belt Manual 91474" published by Autodata. This is intended for professional garages and costs about 70 pounds in the UK.

This manual is currently in its 19th edition. You need to check that it still covers your vehicle, if it doesn't you may need to find an older edition. You might find a second hand copy for a lower price.

Thanks a lot it really help, please where do I buy the manual like the one you attached or is their a place to download it, thanks once again
I bought my last AutoData paperback Manuals in 2012, just before they went to DVDs and online with date expiry yearly renewal, I believe so you had to renew each year at great cost!!!
They may not be of great use to you unless you work on lots of different vehicles as they were designed for the Motor trade. The pages I photographed for you were the only ones relevant to your model.
As I retired in 2019 they covered all the vehicles my customers had.
In 2012 just the two books furthest away in photo cost over £100, but have been excellent value over the years. Prior to those I always bought Glasses Technical Service Data manuals, I should have kept them as they contained loads of information on older Fiats and every other make.:(

Attachments

• DSCF0530.JPG
    DSCF0530.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back