Technical Timing belt gone! 1997 Ducato 1.9 TD

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt gone! 1997 Ducato 1.9 TD

HiggiltyPiggilty

Hi there- I have the 1997 fiat ducato autotrail badger 1.9TD (1929 cc)- 2 berth campervan. Unfortunately the timing belt has gone whilst driving. I know, I know- this is a daft lassie mistake to not have this changed. I would be really grateful for some advice.
1. How do I find out the exact engine model?
2. Am I better getting the engine fixed or going for a remanufactured engine?
3. I've picked up from other posts that it is much better/ easier to fit a like for like engine rather than trying change to a bigger engine. The 1.9 td does kinda struggle on the hills- but maybe a reconditioned one will improve things?? Any further advice on this much appreciated.

I have a good old fashioned mechanic that is willing to do the work.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi there- I have the 1997 fiat ducato autotrail badger 1.9TD (1929 cc)- 2 berth campervan. Unfortunately the timing belt has gone whilst driving. I know, I know- this is a daft lassie mistake to not have this changed. I would be really grateful for some advice.
1. How do I find out the exact engine model?
2. Am I better getting the engine fixed or going for a remanufactured engine?
3. I've picked up from other posts that it is much better/ easier to fit a like for like engine rather than trying change to a bigger engine. The 1.9 td does kinda struggle on the hills- but maybe a reconditioned one will improve things?? Any further advice on this much appreciated.

I have a good old fashioned mechanic that is willing to do the work.
Thank you!
If it's definitely 1929cc, I suspect it is a very late 280 A1.000, I have a 1995 Auto Data manual with torque settings etc. I believe they were used in Talbot Express vans as well so there Owners club may be a source of information.
According to my later 2012 Auto Data manual a DHX engine was used in Ducato 1.9s 1905cc (Peugeot engine) from 1998-02 so your camper age may not be dead accurate.
Regarding fixing or "recon" engine, it depends on the degree of damage, often on diesels con rods get bent when valves meet pistons which would mean a full overhaul of the engine. If that hasn't happened then head gasket and a few valves may be a lucky escape and much cheaper than a recon engine, assuming you can get a good quality rebuild.:(
Personally I much prefer the 2.8 Sofim engine used in later Ducatos etc. Although they do bend conrods when cam belt fails:(.
However although a much more powerful engine I would have though the trouble converting would make it unviable unless you had a complete donor vehicle, as it would involve gearboxes, driveshafts, brakes, suspension, subframes as well.
A photo may help to recognise the engine or for you to compare with other ones advertised.
There are many Forum members here who may be able to offer more detailed advice.

Back