General Thinking of buying a Ulysse - new or old shape?

Currently reading:
General Thinking of buying a Ulysse - new or old shape?

lanciaman

Established member
HI all, as the heading says. Have a 2005 Croma but fancy the van capability. However, have read many disaster stories re the 2003 on model so am wondering if a late old shape would be a better idea? Not bothered about age, image or any of that rubbish these days. Am of the opinion that modern cars are far too complex anyway so the old shape appeals in some ways. Did have a loan of a 806 td for a couple of weeks years ago and it was good, if junk in terms of plastic trim quality!

However, what is the consensus? Old shape a decent idea or not?

cheers

I can't speak for the new model, but I have a 1997 2.0 EL petrol model which I have had for nearly 10 years. It has an annual service and has proved thoroughly reliable, having clocked up 150,000 miles today. It can be a bit thirsty on fuel, but driving from Suffolk to Wales and back I have averaged just over 38 mpg. 526 miles and just under a quarter of a tank of fuel left.

I am thinking of replacing mine with a Jag XK8 (mid life crisis), but worry that I will miss it as I take for granted, whether filling it with people or popping down to the DIY store and just shoving anything in the back without thinking, or hitching up a car trailer to move one of my restoration projects. Give it a clean and it still shines like new.

Mine is absolutely worthless now, but owes me nothing and potentially has years of life left in it.

I have a 2.0S P reg which I've had for 5 years. OK it's not perfect but between ebay, this site and a couple of tywraps I've been able to keep it going quite happily. Easily removed seats for huge carrying capacity, easy in town and comfy long distance cruiser (ie 645 miles in 8.5 hours last summer and could still walk at the end) Not sure I'd fancy the newer model's extra gizmo's as they appear to go wrong regularly.

Hi , I have no experience of the mark 1, but plenty with the newer one and my advice would be buy the older model, the new one is far to complicated for most mechanics, i was gonna say the average mechanic, but mine baffled 2 very competent mechanics, stick to the straight forward option.

Agree totally with last post try and get a late model 1905cc t/diesel with all the bells and whistles, much more reliable and better on fuel!(y)

Agree totally with last post try and get a late model 1905cc t/diesel with all the bells and whistles, much more reliable and better on fuel!(y)

Interesting you guys are mirroring my own thoughts! However, Old shape JTD, td or even a 2.0 petrol? Would like an EL as the S seat trim if nothing else doesn't appeal!

Petrol shouldn't be ruled out as simpler engine, still 30mpg plus economy and should be cheaper to buy.....will do around 10k miles a year in the thing

i had the mk1 2.0l petrol and was absolutley brilliant in the 5 years i owned it i did 140k so it had 230,000 in it and was the most reliable car i have ever owned
i just serviced it every 6k and had 1 clutch change & 1 starter motor & battery other than that it never missed a beat

Back