General These Uno Things are Addictive

Currently reading:
General These Uno Things are Addictive

YTUNO

We are now a two Fiat Family.

I drove up to New Plymouth (about 3 hours drive from Wellington) last weekend to collect my new purchase. It is a 1986 MK1 Uno Turbo. It is completely original except for the unfortunate two-tone paint, which will soon be rectified. It has done 123,000 kms and is rust free except for a spot in the driver's door, which will be removed when the repaint is done.

The drive back was great! I was amazed at the acceleration.

Refueling in Waverly. $60 for the Fiat and $160 for the BMW (Gulp).

Back at home. Don't worry it's not going to be living outside, there is a spot in the garage waiting for it.

It also came with a carload worth of spare parts. Including gearbox, 3 sets of suspension and lots of odds and sods.

I'll take some more photos once it stops raining.

Haha!
Hope you'd finished your 70SL project - 'cause now you've got the Turbo, you'll never go back :)

The performance of the Turbo is just something else, isn't it? I had the same feeling the night I drove mine home six years ago.

Driving gently on long trips, mine always gets stunning economy - well, maybe not stunning compared to a Prius, but 50mpg - 5.3L/100km, I was amazed. Much better than the 70SL can manage. It's the fuel injection that makes the difference.

Is that an early Turbo with the Strada-type gearbox, or the later Tipo-type gearbox with the rods inside the car obscured by a black plastic console on the centre tunnel under the dash? i.e. can you see red carpet all the way across the car in front of the gearlever... Lots of the Turbos in NZ are the later type but judging from the 'N-reg' (as the English would say) I think yours might be an early one - particularly as you said '1986', d'uh! sorry :eek:

The early gearboxes are not so wonderful - usually bad synchro on third and a bendy, wobbly gearshift - I expect you can improve it with some bushes to the linkage, and I find that Castrol VMX (from Repco) is the best oil for ageing gearboxes. The later gearboxes have an 80EP oil specified so you can use any 'normal' gear oil, but with the older ones it's essential not to use EP. VMX is the best non-EP oil I've found taking into account the modest price. Genuine FIAT oil (ZC90) isn't far behind, but a bit more expensive.

Is there a sunroof? Couldn't see in the picture. Sunroofs are rust-central on an Uno...

The Turbo, as an old car, manages to combine surprising reliability with a good dose of the performance it always had. There is likely to be rust in all sorts of odd places, so best of luck with your renovation! (Check the rear turrets inside the boot under the carpet). WOFs may require any number of repairs to brakes, suspension, and steering - all of which are worked quite hard since it's the heaviest Uno in the range. Things like the front anti-roll bar bushes can still be ordered new from Italian Autos in Auckland.

I'd be interested to know how much you paid for this beauty - send me a private message if you like ;)

Oh, and Well done! :)

Cheers,
-Alex

Last edited:
The 70SL project is still underway, but I suspect that it'll be used more for transporting the dog around now.

I was amazed at the speed and handling of the UT, in fact it left the BMW for dead on the twisty bits.

I think it is an early one as there is red carpet as far as the eye can see inside. The gearbox is a bit sloppy and it did graunch a bit going into third, but nothing to scary. It came with a spare 5 speed out of a Tipo so I'll swap it over if the graunching gets worse or when I have some spare time.

There is no sunroof, which I was very pleased about as I have no desire to give rust any more encouragement than it already has.

It has been owned by a Fiat club member for the last 8 years or so, so has lead a fairly pampered life. I paid $1000 for it and a whole bunch of spare parts. Almost enough to build another UT.....

The turrets and everything seem pretty rust free. There was some light surface rust, but that came off with a bit of a scrub.

The only "major" expense I will have, apart from the respray, will be a set of decent tyres as the ones on it at the moment are some odd budget brand.

Last edited:
In NZ the correct size tyre for the Uno Turbo are rather hard to find. The tyre should be a 175 60 13 (people will look at you funny and say "Don’t you mean 175 70 13?"). I have found that the correct size tyre is essential. You can get away with running 185 60 13s so that might be a good bet.

The joys of owning a 'weird' Euro car... The correct size for your 70sl will be 155 70 13. Once again an irritating size as all the tyre shops have heaps of 155 80 13s

Sometimes I wonder if I would like an Uno Turbo, but I get similar performance out of my 1600 so I'll stick with that :) Good luck with your Uno, and if you feel like throwing it around a track, and dont mind the trip to Taupo it would be great to see it, as we go there reasonably frequently during the winter.

Yup 175/60 13's are quite hard to get hold of. I'd get 185/55 13 to keep the rolling radius as close as possible to standard.

Matt

Dunno about NZ, but yes the standard size is not that common and is normally special order and a higher price but they're certainly aren't difficult to get hold of, you just might not be able to drive in an expect them to have them in stock.

Thanks guys, I didn't realise that the tyres would be such a rare size. But then I am rapidly learning that nothing is typical when it comes to italian cars :D

I'm guess that the New Zealand climate is a little kinder on the Unos. That and the lack of salt on our roads no doubt helps ensure that there are plenty roaming our highways and byways.

I finally got around to taking some more photos.....

Abarth Magic: "0-100km/h 8.3 sec, Standing Kilometer 29.8 sec, Cruising Max 200km/h"

Marvel at the two-tone paint effect, complete with masked off Turbo Decal

The front seat is a little worn, but then it still supports my buttocks so I have no reason to complain.

Complete with original AWA Clarion AM/FM stereo tape player.

So many dials for such a little car :)

Ooooh a 105hp turbo fuel injected clock, just what every car needs!

It came complete with Motorsport New Zealand Homologation Papers so it is registered to go racing.

I think that bottom spoiler needs to go... Its not original and it kinda looks like a shelf.

If you are a member of a car club you should get your clubsport licence and come racing with us :) I'm sure theres a FIAT club down your way.

I'm just curious why your logbook says 2.2ltr engine... Is that the equivalent non-turbo size?

I couldn't agree more on the spoiler! It is a soft spongy rubber too :confused:

I am a member of the Fiat Club and have got my Clubsport Licence now:

How often do you guys go racing? I would love to join in.

Regarding the engine size it is the turbo equivalency formula that MSNZ I think...

If you're getting rid of the spoiler can I have it please?

Matt

Last edited:
Taupo Car Club do winter dual sprints last Saturday of the month during winter. Next one is the 26th of July, then 30th August (I wont be there because I'm helping with Rally NZ), and the last one is 20th Sept (Not last sat this time). Go to their website if you are interested. You dont have to be a memmber of Taupo car club to compete (just a member of a MSNZ affiliated car club). We just use track two (the new part).

Also the FIAT Club Waikato are headed that way on the 14th of September (this event is likely to be booked out as its part of a clubsport series that also involves Hamilton Car Club and Minis Waikato).

Do you know why someone has painted the bottom of your car that colour? Is it proper car paint?

Taupo Car Club do winter dual sprints last Saturday of the month during winter. Next one is the 26th of July, then 30th August (I wont be there because I'm helping with Rally NZ), and the last one is 20th Sept (Not last sat this time). Go to their website if you are interested. You dont have to be a memmber of Taupo car club to compete (just a member of a MSNZ affiliated car club). We just use track two (the new part).

Also the FIAT Club Waikato are headed that way on the 14th of September (this event is likely to be booked out as its part of a clubsport series that also involves Hamilton Car Club and Minis Waikato).

Cool, the 30th of August could be a go!

Do you know why someone has painted the bottom of your car that colour? Is it proper car paint?

It is supposed to match the gold from a B&H cigarette packet. He had it purposely colour matched by a spray shop. It used a PPG base. He gave me a spare tin when I bought the car if you are interested :D

If you're getting rid of the spoiler can I have it please?
Matt

Sure, come pick it up and it is yours! I know where there is another one if you want two.

Last edited:
It is supposed to match the gold from a B&H cigarette packet. He had it purposely colour matched by a spray shop. It used a PPG base. He gave me a spare tin when I bought the car if you are interested :D

LOL! Yeah well, why wouldn't you... :D

My Uno Turbo's colour-matched to a refrigerator - just kidding ;)

Seriously, I knew someone who painted their Triumph Vitesse in Cadbury Purple, so I guess it's OK to pick a colour you are attached to. And I guess nothing would be more of an attachment than a cigarette packet :rolleyes:

-Alex

Back