The wave

Currently reading:
The wave

P

patrick

Here at Ifiat boo our readership is typically pretty young. That's why I come to you now with an educational opportunity. Don't worry, this won't take long, and I guarantee this will be a very important bit of knowledge. This is for all the young drivers out there, as well as for those of you who just haven't figured out how to drive at (I'm looking at you, city of Los Angeles). I'm going to tell you about an important driving maneuver that you aren't going to hear or read about in the highway code book: The Wave.

Some of you are already thinking that “The Wave” simply refers to wave-like pattern you make as you weave back and forth between multiple lanes without signaling, and that you've pretty much gotten that maneuver down to a science. Wrong. The real Wave is quite the opposite of your sociopathic driving. Moreover, it actually has nothing to do with your car, per se.

Here's how the Wave works: imagine that you're trying to merge, make a turn, cross the street, etc. Suddenly, rather than speeding up to cut off any potential entry point you might have, one of the other motorists on the road actually slows down to let you in. You take the opportunity to get in and, this is the tricky part, you give that motorist a little “wave” of your hand. That's it, a simple gesture to acknowledge that, by the grace of a total stranger, you have made your latest traffic maneuver successfully.

So what does this get me, you ask? Nothing. However, I guarantee you've brightened that person's day just a little, and that may be all they needed to put off that psychotic killing spree they've been thinking about for what seems like ages. Now I know what you're thinking: “But that guy doesn't even work for the same company that I do. Who cares if he shoots up the place?” Well look at it this way: if after he shoots up the place, he hops in his car and tries to make a daring escape, only to cause a 10-car pileup on the freeway, you could be looking at some serious delays on your drive home. So when the time comes for a “Wave”, ask yourself which is preferable: a minor wrist ache, or a bloody episode that keeps you away from your delicious cup of pot noodles?

Nice post Patrick!

It's amazing how much that manouvre makes a difference to myself. If I let someone out of a junction or into my lane the wave manouvre from the other driver causes the instant smile and a feeling of warmth in the car.

Not seeing that all important manouvre makes me want to kill the ignorant f***ing tw**** @:$"" @!$!">:$

yeah been driving for over 12 years now and always makes me smile when they acknowledge you...but as Wimmy states you wanna kill em when they dont even nod or wave!!

does seem as though a lot of younger drivers are not aware of this!

jesus i sound old...only 32 ..lol

Ade

Couldn't agree more. Simple common courtesy on the roads goes a long way. I find the most courteous drivers on the road are lorry drivers. 99% of them appreciate and acknowledge other drivers who allow them to move out, etc. If you've ever tried slowing down a fully laden 40 foot artic' then you'll know just how helpful it is when other drivers make allowances for you. The common alternate indicator flash is usually followed by a wave from the cab as you go by and a helpful flick of the lamps to let you know when it's safe to pull back in.

Motorcyclists are also usually good (especially the ones on big machines). Whenever I see one in the rear view, I move over as far left as I can so they can overtake me without encroaching too far into the opposite lane. Once again, a raising of the left hand almost always follows.

Car or van drivers, on the other hand, are a bunch of rude, ignorant and generally ungrateful c**ts who seem to have forgotten the function of the middle peddle or that you don't have to have the throttle glued to the floor and that you don't always have to race or get there 5 seconds quicker. It's not a race, there is no prize and you are not more important than anyone else on the road. Also, undertaking on dual carriageways and motorways is a sure fire way to not only anger other road users but also cause major accidents. Ever see a lorry undertake ?

Not everyone's perfect, but the LGV & PSV drivers along with bikers are by far the most conscientious and polite drivers out there.

Is it a coincidence that they all undergo a lot more training and have to pass more rigourous tests than the car driver ? Hmmmm.....

Well, I'll soon be off up to Manchester and will no doubt encounter another swathe of feckwits on the A14 & M6. And if you deliberately sit on my arse as I'm performing a legitimate overtaking maneauvre at 75-80 mph, just because you think you have a right to be infront of everyone else, I will deliberately keep my speed at 65-70 mph and will only move over when it is safe for me to do so.

Then I will gracefully wave at you....

With 1 finger ;)

Rob
Mk.2 Marea Weekend 1.8 16v 115 ELX - Bigger IS better ! ;)

exciter.gif

I sometimes have a little sympathy with the 'undertaker'. It all depends on the way it has been done and what they are undertaking. There is nothing worse than a driver in the 3rd/2nd lane of the motorway with nothing in the 1st and 2nd lanes doing 60mph.

I'm not the type to drive up the @ss of someone or flash my lights intimidatingly. If they would just move over when not overtaking that too would calm a hell of a lot of people down on the motorways.

Those that are just speeding eratically and using every lane possible in large amounts of traffic to gain a 30 second advantage on other road users is just plain suicidal!

Ha ha the “wave” most people just assume you should give way to them even if the obstruction is on there side, especially women in 4x4's taking the kids to school.

A little bit of common curtsey is all what is needed,

Marea, why settle for less

In those circumstances i sometimes find indicating right when sitting behind folk who've forgotten to mve back in works as a reminder. All too often it does not, and in those circumstances i find myself wishing i was over on the continent. Moving back in after overtaking is the norm, and if you are catching up on someone, they move in anyway! I dont know what it is about us Brits that makes us feel like we own the lane we are in :(

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8

With you on that one Wimmy, and yes Buzz, the continentals seem to have the right idea.

When I was in the States, they simply don't have a lane priority, you just go wherever there is space, and it works really well. They also have turning right through a red light (would be left here, obviously) and that makes junctions way less congested.

Rob
Mk.2 Marea Weekend 1.8 16v 115 ELX - Bigger IS better ! ;)

exciter.gif

Actually, i found that right turn rule in the US awesoe. Some lights do have an additional filter that lets you know you CANT just go, and of course theres the big sign that says 'no right turn on red'

But we're backwards in many other ways too. i mean, 30mph repeater signs are ILLEGAL in this country? wtf purpose does that serve?

Buzz
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
& now ex owner of a Bravo 1.8