General The long drive home...

Currently reading:
General The long drive home...

So I've bought my 500 and picked it up the other day :)

First stop was at a cafe for lunch - see picture - the cafe owner asked where I'd come from and I said I'd bought a car in Christchurch - she looked outside and said "oh, nice! I've got the same model Nissan, mine's the silver one". :bang:

Within an hour or so, I'd pretty much decided that I really hate driving this car - the main problem is the bumpy and choppy ride that gives me a headache as it throws me around. I had to keep taking breaks to alleviate the dizzy feeling. My Mk2 Punto Sporting was pretty bad, but this is on a whole new level. As you can see in the photo below, the rear suspension doesn't have the antiroll bar, so must be the earlier setup despite being first sold in December 2010.

The steering doesn't seem very nice. It is strangely heavy when driving at speeds over 70km/h - turning into a corner requires a strong effort, and even the numerous small corrections required to keep the car in a straight line (due to crosswinds, road camber, etc.) need quite a force, probably noticed most because the steering wheel is too far away. I checked the tyre pressures - all four tyres had 24psi, so I bumped them up to 31 front/29 rear as per the handbook (1 bar being 14.2psi from memory). Surprisingly this didn't seem to make any difference.

I don't find the driving position comfortable - there are two choices: sit really upright, or recline the seat and move it closer, which makes the pedals too close - sore ankles and difficult to get in and out.

The power and burbling sound from the engine is great, and the Dualogic gearbox works flawlessly. I was impressed at the characterful sound FIAT have managed to get out of their four-cylinder 1.4L engine, and Dualogic is a big improvement over Selespeed. I was surprised also to find that while rolling downhill with engine on the over-run, it is possible to select neutral. Of course the engine will be idling (rather than fuel cut-off) but it can roll a lot further (engine braking is quite substantial otherwise).

Brakes are great, nice feel and powerful.

While the speed did start to tail off going up most of the hills, changing down to 4th or even 3rd was quite exhilirating as it made all the difference - the engine was much happier pulling up a hill at 4000 rather than 3000. I found the Auto mode - either Sport or normal - did not change down readily enough. So I don't mind the engine's characteristics, as the transmission makes it easy to use.

The fuel economy (6.3L/100km - 45mpg) is good, but no better than my trusty old 156 over the same journey (I bought that in Christchurch too) and the 500's small tank meant three fuel stops instead of one. Maybe it will be more economical than the 156 when I drive around town (8.4L/100km - 33mpg to beat).

The tyre noise is intense, though that can be improved with the excellent guides by pearce_jj. The tyres are ContiPremiumContact 2, probably the best/most expensive tyres I've ever had. 195/45 16". Increasing the tyre pressure made the noise a little greater - it's actually a booming noise on most new road surfaces, can't use Blue&Me to make phone calls as the person on the other end simply can't hear.

I prefer the bright red leather of my 156's interior, but I could get used to the 500's seats - they're quite good.

I did notice the sun reflecting off the various shiny bits of the interior - those door release handles and the dash panel can be blinding :rolleyes: Still, I can live with that too.

When the temperature inside the car reaches the set figure, the fan slows down and starts squeaking quite loudly. I think I could fix that easily. The fix yesterday was just to turn the fan off.

Air conditioning seems powerful, doesn't mist the windows after turning the air-conditioning off, and is therefore probably an area where the 500 beats my 156 :)

Headlights, wipers, stereo, interior light and pretty much all things electrical seem a big step down for me - nothing seems to work as well as on my 156, no Xenon headlights, rain-sensing wipers, and the lack of cruise control all make their absence felt on a long trip. I'm aware that cruise control is possible to add at considerable expense :) I think rain sensing wipers will be possible too.

Given the choice, I'd still rather jump in my 156 for any journey - it's faster, easier to drive, quieter and more comfortable (despite also having a bumpy ride), and the stereo's better. I'm not sure whether the average Joe Public sees the 500 as being any more beautiful, particularly when it's confused with a Nissan March. :confused: The 156 is generally called a 'Rover'.

So in summary then:

Advantages:
- I like the colour

- Condition, particularly paint, wheels, interior all perfect

- Engine sounds great and performs well

- Transmission is pretty clever and easy to use

- Brakes have excellent feel and capability

- Fits in small parking spaces

- Turning circle is tiny compared to what I'm used to, easy U-turns

- Seats (Sport type) are comfortable with contemporary fabric, and matt textures

- Useful tailgate and boot, rear window wiper

- Wing mirrors work very well - they don't vibrate at all (unlike the internal mirror)

Disadvantages:
- Ride is truly awful - pitches forward/back and sideways jerks as well. When hitting a bump while cornering, there's a sort of bouncy rolling motion.

- Steering feel - a sort of smooth heavy springiness that makes cornering hard work, particularly at higher speeds. Fine for parking etc.

- Noise - particularly tyre noise - is high. Some wind noise as well (more than for, say, an Alfa Romeo 156...)

- Driving position not very 'luxury' and more 'city car'. I should have bought that 2006 Alfa Romeo 166 I was looking at (half the price).

- Various items of typical equipment missing (is there a glovebox light? I'm guessing not, since there's no glovebox :p) Most can be done without, but are nice to have. Rain sensing wipers/cruise control in particular

- Stereo disappointing but could be sufficient if noise levels are reduced

- Blue & Me basically useless in this car, as it turns out to be the earlier one that can't play music off an iPhone. It also can't understand any voice commands (and I can't hear its voice) and can't make handsfree calls, though with a new microphone and improved soundproofing, perhaps this will improve.

I'm away for a month (next month) but when I return, will try a listing on our auction site - hoping I don't lose too many thousands - and with the money, I'll probably buy an Alfa Romeo 166. However if I can't sell the 500 at all (quite likely, as it's been unsold for at least nine months before I got it), then I'll apply some improvements to what I can.

-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_0100small.JPG
    IMG_0100small.JPG
    369.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0109small.JPG
    IMG_0109small.JPG
    469.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0110small.JPG
    IMG_0110small.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0115small.JPG
    IMG_0115small.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Your tires are not correctly inflated, when they are hot you need 36 psi/34.
31/29 is far too little.
Change the suspension as maxi said.
Rain sensing wipers? Its called moving your right hand. I find the driving style very comortable (the way you sit), but its typical italian long legs short arms.

The Fiat 500 and Alfa 166 are completely different cars. Ones a city car the other a cruiser. The two cannot be compared.

It's a shame that you're not happy about your purchase, especially considering all the research you put in, but I have to agree with both RUI and Ahmett - you need to test drive a car before buying and you cannot compare the 500 to an Alfa 166, it just makes no sense?

I hope you don't lose too much money and thanks for sharing your experience with us.

alexGS, each to their own opinion and you have certainly found out the hard way in terms of not test driving before hand. That said, I have in the past bought a brand new car over the phone of which I had no previous experience of driving and certainly no test drive, and it turned out to be a fantastic buy, really, not just saying that.

I have to say though, I share your thoughts (as it would appear does Ahmett and he drives around Athens), that first and foremost, the 500 (especially the 1.2) is a city car and for me, that will never change. Many on this forum will completely disagree with that and I respect their opinion, but as I said in a previous post, the thought of doing a few hundred miles in our own 500, would make me shudder and tbh, I wouldn't do so unless I had to. To be fair too, if my Missus now goes off to visit friends a hundred miles away, she'll take our Cadillac, purely for the comfort aspect.

Your views will be exacerbated no doubt by the first generation suspension you appear to have at the rear. I'm not sure I personally would wish to go through the bother of upgrading all the suspension. Just how much will that cost exactly? I suppose it will depend on how much money you might lose getting shot of the car almost immediately, hopefully not much.

Anyway, good luck. I wish you the best whatever you decide.

it may take more than 1 drive to find the best driving position, even in my croma it took a few weeks to find the right one.
it will feel like a city car because it is, maybe new bravo would have been the better fiat to pick if you didn't want a city car.

suspension can be changed, i'd also check tyre presures as mentioned above.

did you really expect Rain sensing wipers/cruise control to be standard on all cars? :confused: a lot of fiats are pre wired for cc you may be lucky and find all you need is a stalk

Within an hour or so, I'd pretty much decided that I really hate driving this car

Condolences - I can only imagine how you must be feeling after all the money you spent & all the hard work you put into making your choice. But if it's really not the right car for you, I'd suggest you bite the bullet, take your losses & move on quickly. I can only hope for you that those losses are not too great.

For the benefit of those yet to purchase (there's a similar thread running right now), IMO the 500 is just a Panda in a posh frock (I've one of each so feel qualified to say this :)). Any journey you couldn't make comfortably in a Panda probably isn't going to be comfortable in a 500 either.

Last edited:
Hey, It looks GREAT though!!

To combat the shiny dash reflections, get some polarised lenses in your sunglasses. You'll be amazed at the difference. (y)
Definitely. I've got a nice pair of Oakley Fuel Cells with polarised lenses in them and they're fanbloodytastic for driving :)

Sadly here in North Wales they're more useful for wearing when you're walking out in the rain and don't want to get rain in your eyes :p

Definitely. I've got a nice pair of Oakley Fuel Cells with polarised lenses in them and they're fanbloodytastic for driving :)

Sadly here in North Wales they're more useful for wearing when you're walking out in the rain and don't want to get rain in your eyes :p

with your fuel can? :devil:

Condolences - I can only imagine how you must be feeling after all the money you spent & all the hard work you put into making your choice. But if it's really not the right car for you, I'd suggest you bite the bullet, take your losses & move on quickly. I can only hope for you that those losses are not too great.

Agreed. Harsh sounding I know, but I can't see after your experience you are going to get to like this car in the way you should. Probably better to get rid of it otherwise you might get rather bitter. Sorry.

Thanks everyone for your input :)

I was quite wrong about the "hated it after an hour" part, as it was really more like three hours, and there were some other frustrations at that point of the trip - the low sun, the slow trucks, the roadworks.

I did actually test drive three other 500s, an older 1.4 Pop, a 1.2 Pop, and a 1.4 Sport with Dualogic, and I'm confident that the one I bought is equal to that last one, since it was built on the same day according to ePer. The thing is, I did all this test-driving around a city with a short blast on a (busy) motorway, which is not the same thing at all as a long road trip in NZ. ;)

I did have unrealistic expectations, as frupi and stu0710 say.

At least there is a happy ending to this, now I've spent all day thinking about it.

I took the 500 for a more normal drive today - I just couldn't resist - so much for not wanting to drive it again (that lasted about 5 hours). :eek:

Anyway I drove out to Cambridge from Hamilton, a pretty normal half-hour drive for me involving a bit of city, a bit of country town, a dual carriageway (smooth surface) and a coarse road with passing lane sections.

This was much more pleasant than yesterday. Oddly I'm sure the suspension was less crashy (practically silent) on a particular city road than the 156 would have been, plus on the dual carriageway it was sublime with no problems going in a straight line (no crosswinds). Very noisy on the coarse road and still a bit bumpy, but not as bouncy as I might have said before. Also seemed keen and accurate turning into corners.

As a test, I rode in the car as a passenger (with a spirited driver driving) and was quite shocked how he easily squeezed the car between a truck and a roadsign, then darted into a side turning. Lots of performance seemed to be on tap. I guess a car always feels faster when someone else is driving! :p

It didn't seem tiring to drive at all, and I realised that the seats really are comfortable and supportive.

I thought about it - a lot - and realised that I should be seeing this car not as something inferior to my 156, but instead as something much better than my Uno Turbo. I know the Uno has a certain sensational explosive-power quality and is faster, but frankly that's always frightened me and I've never felt very comfortable in that car. Had a couple of close calls (no other cars have scared me like that). It always seemed like it would be an exciting way to die. I wouldn't mind keeping it forever as a classic, but since I never drive it, there doesn't seem much point. And it's depressing finding rust to fix.

I also thought a little more about my Alfa 156 - thinking about how I've had over 30 months of trouble-free Selespeed operation, and how my luck is likely to run out sooner or later. I thought about its lovely wheels that I found for it, but then realised that the wheels on the 500 are very nearly as nice. I thought about when the suspension will start knocking again - based on past experience, probably about six months. I thought about the damaged sills and front crossmember (under radiators), flaking paint on the front bumper, slight kink on rear bumper, mismatched driver's seat leather, scratch on bootlid, damaged window tint, and a ton of other mild defects which I might have liked to be repaired to carry on using this every day. I thought about how the 156 driving position feels so 'ordinary' after I've been driving my Spider.

I thought about how I've always enjoyed driving Alfa 164s. They are probably my all-time favourite cars, yet I don't have one now.

I reckon the way out of this is to move on, I should sell the 156 while it is still good enough to sell, and I should sell the Uno because I don't drive it and the 500 has most of the Uno qualities but none of the drawbacks.

And then once I have only a Spider and a 500, and both of them being really tidy condition, I can consider then getting a 164 or 166 for basically peanuts, just to serve as the occasional-use 'big car' when there are people to carry, and I won't be particularly fussy about its condition since it's not for everyday use. It will definitely have a towbar and probably be an auto.

I think the problem is that historically I've owned a whole fleet of cars to provide a great assortment of driving experiences - reducing this down to one expensive small car means I expected too much of it. Plus, I suppose I'm getting older and a seven-hour road trip in the Uno, which I did a few times once, I couldn't do now! :eek:

-Alex

Last edited:

Yeah - not the right car for me for long journeys - but I realise today how much better it is than my other options around town, plus it is going to take less maintenance. I just hope I can keep it for long enough to get the return - there is the risk I might get bored of it and want to move on after three years :rolleyes:

-Alex

Thanks everyone for your input :)

I did actually test drive three other 500s, an older 1.4 Pop, a 1.2 Pop, and a 1.4 Sport with Dualogic, and I'm confident that the one I bought is equal to that last one, since it was built on the same day according to ePer. The thing is, I did all this test-driving around a city with a short blast on a (busy) motorway, which is not the same thing at all as a long road trip in NZ. ;)

I did have unrealistic expectations, as frupi and stu0710 say.

At least there is a fairly happy ending to this, now I've spent all day thinking about it.

I took the 500 for a more normal drive today - I just couldn't resist - so much for not wanting to drive it again (that lasted about 5 hours). :eek:

Anyway I drove out to Cambridge from Hamilton, a pretty normal half-hour drive for me involving a bit of city, a bit of country town, a dual carriageway (smooth surface) and a coarse road with passing lane sections.

This was much more pleasant than yesterday. Oddly I'm sure the suspension was less crashy (practically silent) on a particular city road than the 156 would have been, plus on the dual carriageway it was sublime with no problems going in a straight line (no crosswinds). Very noisy on the coarse road and still a bit bumpy, but not as bouncy as I might have said before. Also seemed keen and accurate turning into corners.

As a test, I rode in the car as a passenger (with a spirited driver driving) and was quite shocked how he easily squeezed the car between a truck and a roadsign, then darted into a side turning. Lots of performance seemed to be on tap. I guess a car always feels faster when someone else is driving! :p

It didn't seem tiring to drive at all, and I realised that the seats really are comfortable and supportive.

I thought about it - a lot - and realised that I should be seeing this car not as something inferior to my 156, but instead as something much better than my Uno Turbo. I know the Uno has a certain sensational explosive-power quality and is faster, but frankly that's always frightened me and I've never felt very comfortable in that car. Had a couple of close calls (no other cars have scared me like that). It always seemed like it would be an exciting way to die. I wouldn't mind keeping it forever as a classic, but since I never drive it, there doesn't seem much point. And it's depressing finding rust to fix.

I also thought a little more about my Alfa 156 - thinking about how I've had over 30 months of trouble-free Selespeed operation, and how my luck is likely to run out sooner or later. I thought about its lovely wheels that I found for it, but then realised that the wheels on the 500 are very nearly as nice. I thought about when the suspension will start knocking again - based on past experience, probably about six months. I thought about the damaged sills and front crossmember (under radiators), flaking paint on the front bumper, slight kink on rear bumper, mismatched driver's seat leather, scratch on bootlid, damaged window tint, and a ton of other mild defects which I might have liked to be repaired to carry on using this every day. I thought about how the 156 driving position feels so 'ordinary' after I've been driving my Spider.

I thought about how I've always enjoyed driving Alfa 164s. They are probably my all-time favourite cars, yet I don't have one now.

I reckon the way out of this is to move on, I should sell the 156 while it is still good enough to sell, and I should sell the Uno because I don't drive it and the 500 has most of the Uno qualities but none of the drawbacks.

And then once I have only a Spider and a 500, and both of them being really tidy condition, I can consider then getting a 164 or 166 for basically peanuts, just to serve as the occasional-use 'big car' when there are people to carry, and I won't be particularly fussy about its condition since it's not for everyday use. It will definitely have a towbar and probably be an auto.

I think the problem is that historically I've owned a whole fleet of cars to provide a great assortment of driving experiences - reducing this down to one expensive small car means I expected too much of it. Plus, I suppose I'm getting older and a seven-hour road trip in the Uno, which I did a few times once, I couldn't do now! :eek:

-Alex
Buy yourself some Koni FSD's and I think you'll have something more along the lines of what you originally wanted :)

So all's well that ends well eh? (y)

At least you don't sound bitter and on a different day under different circumstances you've come to a different conclusion. At least you've got the guts to say it. I salute you!

I know what you mean about the Uno by the way. I drove one from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth. The journey took 14 hours, was utterly horrendous. I've done that same journey several times since, but in cars much better suited to a long drive.

So all's well that ends well eh? (y)

At least you don't sound bitter and on a different day under different circumstances you've come to a different conclusion. At least you've got the guts to say it. I salute you!

Well, who was there to be bitter towards apart from myself? :eek: It was my own fault, but I don't think I was seeing the big enough picture. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the condition of cars; keeping the 500 in the condition it's in should be pretty easy for me. It seems to be getting more favourable responses than my much-loved older barges.

To balance up the story a little, I should mention that when I bought my Spider, I made the same journey as I did yesterday in the 500. In the Spider it was a pleasant and relaxing experience with the roof down all the way. Good fuel economy and I felt very happy with my purchase of a 'practical' sports car. However, driving the Spider around town on the few days after, I found new problems with visibility with the hood up (positively claustrophobic, that plastic rear window, the side parts of the 'tent', can't look up at traffic lights), the shakes and wobbles began to be noticeable, and the engine seemed to bog down while trying to get off the line (first gear too high for town use). So, pretty much the reverse experience. Also, difficult to fit even just one wheel/tyre anywhere in the vehicle (I had four to carry), and no electronic mod-cons either, real pain trying to replace the 5x7" stereo speakers.

I know what you mean about the Uno by the way. I drove one from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth. The journey took 14 hours, was utterly horrendous. I've done that same journey several times since, but in cars much better suited to a long drive.

Isn't Port Elizabeth right down on the coast south of Durban? I'm going to go and look now, I've been to Johannesburg and Durban, and from Cape Town I've been on that tour from where the penguins live around to Table Mountain.

I'm sure the Uno must have seemed pretty dreadful on those particular days too! I think the most soul-destroying thing is for that second day of the trip when you think "okay, today's a fresh start, I'm sure it's going to be better than yesterday" and then oh no it isn't, just as annoying as the first day.

But then on another day in normal conditions, different characteristics come to light. And as dave says, it takes a few tries to find the best driving position for the car. I think I got it today as I felt great when I jumped out of it with a wide grin on my face :D The trick was to play with the angle of the seat base and having the seat quite upright rally-driver style. The seat holds you really well in the Sport version!

Maxi - funny you should mention Koni FSDs, as I have those in my 156 with Eibach springs. They made the suspension much harder at the back but it corners well. I think with the 500 I'd like to try the FSDs with standard springs, as in my opinion it doesn't need lowering and the spring rate is probably correct, it just feels a bit over-damped on those bumpy country roads.

It also crossed my mind that maybe, since this was its first-ever trip out of town, the dampers might be settling-in and softening up in some way? Maybe not... but it really did seem better today!

-Alex

Last edited:
Back