Technical tackling rust under car

Currently reading:
Technical tackling rust under car

Get a wire brush for your grinder and clean as much of the surface rust off as possible before applying any paint. Hammerite used to be brilliant but now it's not solvent based you're better off with normal etchprimer and paint.

If I'm building a rally car or off roader I used truck bed coating on the underside and up to the bumper line.

Toolstore do a product like the old Hammerite (Xylene based) at about half the price. The "new" Hammerite is still solvent based, but they changed the solvent. Weird. I like the smell of Xylene in the morning.

Truck bed stuff is likely to be very good if you can get it at a sane price (or free) -- otherwise an epoxy or polyurethane based stuff like Epoxy Mastic or Eastwood's Chassis Black.

found a hole caused by rust, u can poke right through it and hit where your legs go when u sit in the back, took it to a free mot and the guy said he would fail me, he advised to weld some plate over it

Last edited:
mot fail, while other rust buckets are driving with no worries

Attachments

• 12062014902.jpg
    12062014902.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 12062014903.jpg
    12062014903.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 12062014904.jpg
    12062014904.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
how much work am i looking at here if i prepare everything for the guy to weld a plate on it?

That's subjective. A 10p sized hole in my mate's Micra ended up being the size of an A5 piece of paper by the time I cleaned all the rust out.

That cost him twelve beers instead of eight. ;)

Back