sweet wrapper charge

Currently reading:
sweet wrapper charge

I have to disagree with you Chas as I think you're over-simplifying the situation. Even if she had noticed a sweet wrapper leave the car is she supposed to stop, leaving a small child in the car to go get the wrapper? Take the child with her to attempt to retreive the wrapper (possibly from on the road)?

My point was that there were a lot of discrepancies in the story with a number of factors that didn't add up, in my opinion. In short I don't believe her story that her niece "Must've leant down and picked up a sweet wrapper from the door compartment" (she must have very long arms, or wasn't strapped in securely...) and there's no proof that her niece was even in the car at the time the alleged offence took place. How do we know it wasn't a friend of hers dropping litter out of the window and once she got summonsed it suddenly became the baby in the car seat alibi? And as you pointed out, the windows of Bunny's Croma are covered in muck because they are wound up high enough or CLOSED so that a child can't stick their hands out of it. What I was highlighting is that I don't think it is wise to have a car window open so far down that a child in a baby seat can reach out of it.

I also feel Miss. Wilkinson behaved totally irresponsibly by not dealing with the matter long before it escalated to 9 warning letters and then a court summons. If she's old enough to drive a car on the road then she's old enough to take responsibility for herself. She had ample opportunity to speak to the council to try and resolve the matter rather than ignoring it.

Many times we hear people complaining about the lack of responsibility of people these days, with many on this very forum suggesting much harder punishment and more action on behalf of the powers that be to make people more accountable for their actions. Yet here we have a council attempting to do just this, maybe a little heavy handedly, and then we get people complaining "oh it was just a sweet wrapper" or "it wasn't her fault". If it's ok for someone to drop a sweet wrapper from their car is it ok for bigger items to dropped from a car too? Why not drop a McDonalds bag full of rubbish out of a car and blame that on the baby as well?

It just seems that too many people these days pass the buck for their own actions, shirk responsibilities and feel that rules shouldn't be applied to them. Isn't this the very attitude that many feel is dragging our country down into the gutter?

Back