Technical Swap out back bench for folding seats possible?

Currently reading:
Technical Swap out back bench for folding seats possible?

JeanClaudePandamme

Dear all, this is my first ever post here so do be gentle with this novice :)

As of a few weeks ago I own a Panda 169 after an 8 year stint of not owning a car at all. I am obviously chuffed by it, but also somewhat annoyed - as one usually is with Italian cars (I used to own an Mk1 Punto ages ago). The main issue is that the back bench in my Panda folds completely and it would make my life much easier if it did so partially. Now I understand that this was an option at the time (50:50 as opposed to the standard 60:40 split) so, in theory, I should be able to swap out the back bench. I'm curious to know how realistic is this in practice?

The main reasons I want to do this are:
  1. Multiple passengers, yet still some luggage.
  2. Use the Panda as a camper van.
Re 1 - Though I did manage to transport a fair amount of IKEA packages with the back bench folded and the front passenger seat pushed all the way to the front, this is only really practical if it's just me in the car. Now, if I had the 50:50 split system, then I could either have a passenger behind me and load up on some longer cargo or have two passengers (one beside me + one in the back) with some space for suitcases on longer trips.

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 18.58.11.jpeg

Re 2 - I have a cunning plan of taking out the front passenger seat entirely as well as the back seat directly behind it. This would then allow me to have a sleeping area. Now I could, of course, take out the front passenger seat, fold the back bench, create some sort of "adapter" to have a flat-ish sleeping surface for my mattress, but that would be a bit of a faff IMHO.

I'd be more than happy to read your thoughts on all of this.

Yes in theory easy

Just need all the brackets from the donar car

Been done many times however two people have had problrms

Even 500 rear seats should fit easy but the front require a bit more work as only 3 of the 4 bolt holes line up though so 500 fronts not a straight swap

Last edited:
At least one person put Alfa 147 seats into a Panda. Though there's no details on what mods were made to fit the rear bench.

100HP and Eleganze models have a 50-50 split rear seat with headrests. It's a straight swap. Biggest snag is rusted bolts. The threads are open to the outside so they do get rusted. Use a good anti seize when replacing them.

Back