Technical Supercrger

Currently reading:
Technical Supercrger

I think your alternator might be a bit on the weak side for this one. As it draws 46 amps it leaves you just 14 amps for the rest of your electrics/electronics.

yep, it won't work.
You only have to calculate how much air your engine needs and then realise that you would need to force in more than that to make a difference.
An little electric motor just won't do it.

I very much doubt that they have permission to use the pic of that car in their header either. Also it uses a 5L N/A V8 with no need for anything like a silly electric fan pretending to be a supercharger...

Im using a similar system on the punto. Got a cold air feed thru 3" ducting and an inline impellor to aid the flow of air. This runs up to the filter box and helps move air thru the panel filter more efficiently.

The system ive built shifts 140cfm which is about 66litres of air a second at maximum efficiency. The problem is, theres plenty of airflow, but no compression - there is a slight difference, but not much tbh. The only time it makes any real difference is when your travelling at <10mph and you turn the impellor on. The impellor will then speed the air flow up to 36mph (at max effic) and improve acceleration.

The motor they're using here is a lot more powerful than mine tho, so it may make more of a difference, but i still doubt you'd get much compression.

I have another design in the pipeline that would run alongside this to provide compression for short bursts when needed, but im still mulling it over atm - dunno if it will actually work or if it will work without breaking things :S need to experiment methinks :)

Turbo's are there enough so I said, build a compressor on it or supercharger.
Compressor should be better for a cinq. Quite small to build on the block and easier to find. And no exhaust mods needed. Only a bit intake piping.
To drive it weld a second crank pulley on the original one and place the compressor at the back. With the A/C bracket the altenator is placed a little bit higher (just under the battery) and then you've got enough space.

Try a New mini compressor 1.6 engine or one of the new VW golf engines.

Electric isn't impossible but not for low budjet prices.
Some RC aircraft models with electric fans could do the job for some maybe 2 to 3 psi pressure but not more then that. And you really need a big battery to keep it running. about 36V 100Amps continous.

Last edited:
The best thing with the compessor is there's alot less heat under the bonnet to contend with, along with other benefits such as smaller intercooler and allowing a free flowing exhaust.
I dont now why more cars aren't fitted with them instead of turbos.
Probably something similar to VHS versus BETAMAX?

A turbo is using something what otherwise only blows out of the exhaust.
A compressor gives more power but first you lose some because of the driving meganism.

As you said you could a race exhaust manifold.
With a turbo you get more back pressure what causes power loss at higher revs.

With a compressor you could tune it like any other unblowed engine (N/A engines) and after that you can place a charger on it.

turbo engines are really a other story to tune. Other cams, other exhaust etc.

could build up a full on turbo kit for less

Well, not using new parts. I recon that new for new prices would come out very similar. Don't forget that the Rotrex is not only more reliable, but far simpler to fit. Also, it would seem that it will function well enough with crude piggy back fuelling, whereas many of us are coming to suspect that the ooops! factor associated with turbos demands an aftermarket ECU.

A turbo will have it on absolute power, a supercharger will have it on driveability and reliability.

If I were starting from scratch (which I'm not about to do ;)) I'd look at the Rotrex. On t'other hand, if the infamous Alfa V6 project takes off, the Voo Sei is said to like supercharging. I recon 350 fairly reliable bhp! Could be mildly amusing in a Cinq. :yum:

Back