Tuning superchip

Currently reading:
Tuning superchip

Hi there, dos anyone know anything about superchips for a 20vt? can these simply plug in or is it more complex than that? does anyone have any photos of a geniune superchip either?

Chipping a Coupe will end in trouble, believe me. There are soooo many engines that have gone bang, that i would strongly advise to leave alone. The Coupe's chassis has enough problems coping with the standard power, or it should if the engine is healthy. But no doubt others will tell you differently.

Andy:)

Hi, nobody uses superchips, they are expensive and stupidly overfuel. Everybody uses GrahamL's excellent G-Tech Eprom chip, try ebay seller "traumax" on ebay or contact him via Fccuk. Oh, ignore what Sumplug says, hundreds of users on fccuk using chips with no repercussions. You just need to bare in mind two things:

1. You NEED a boost gauge before you chip, if not you could be running god knows what boost and you've only yourself to blame if it goes bang

2. Then book a rolling road for an hour to get the fueling checked. Chipping may cause the coop to run lean (or you could be running lean anyway) but it's £60 well spent.

These two and you'll be right :p and your coop will be a little more savage :cool: I was pulling 5.7 0-60's after my G-Tech for instance (y) Finally, the coop can cope with a LOT more power than the standard 220BHP, although in my opinion any more than about 300-350 and you're not going to be getting traction as much as you would like. and in the wet, forget it!

Hi, nobody uses superchips, they are expensive and stupidly overfuel. Everybody uses GrahamL's excellent G-Tech Eprom chip, try ebay seller "traumax" on ebay or contact him via Fccuk. Oh, ignore what Sumplug says, hundreds of users on fccuk using chips with no repercussions. You just need to bare in mind two things:

1. You NEED a boost gauge before you chip, if not you could be running god knows what boost and you've only yourself to blame if it goes bang

2. Then book a rolling road for an hour to get the fueling checked. Chipping may cause the coop to run lean (or you could be running lean anyway) but it's £60 well spent.

These two and you'll be right :p and your coop will be a little more savage :cool: I was pulling 5.7 0-60's after my G-Tech for instance (y) Finally, the coop can cope with a LOT more power than the standard 220BHP, although in my opinion any more than about 300-350 and you're not going to be getting traction as much as you would like. and in the wet, forget it!

My standard Coupe [besides induction] can hit 60 in well under 6.0 secs[ive timed it] without any chipping. If the turbo and actuator are healthy and compressions good, who needs a chip? And even in the dry, it scrabbles for grip in 1st and 2nd!! And no, tyres [Falkens 541's] and suspension are fine. Maybe its just an exceptional one?
Yes i know of Graham's chip, but even so, not all cars have been reliable. Might not all be associated with the chip. At least the Novitec chip we all know to avoid !! Oh yes, didn't you have engine trouble?

Andy.

Hi Andy, yes my Phase sensor went. Obviously caused by the chip :rolleyes:

Who needs a chip? Why you're right! nobody does! and they don't need to put bigger wheels on their cars either because the standard ones grip fine. And why do they put aftermarket bumpers on? the standard ones do a good job. And why do they go putting these big roller bearing turbos on their coupe's? the standard turbo provides enough boost to have fun. And why do they.... etc etc

Hi Andy, yes my Phase sensor went. Obviously caused by the chip :rolleyes:

Who needs a chip? Why you're right! nobody does! and they don't need to put bigger wheels on their cars either because the standard ones grip fine. And why do they put aftermarket bumpers on? the standard ones do a good job. And why do they go putting these big roller bearing turbos on their coupe's? the standard turbo provides enough boost to have fun. And why do they.... etc etc

Tell me, with all these mods your car has, do you have trouble insuring it? You see, a lot of potential Coupe owners have trouble insuring a standard Coupe. And unfortunately, and this bit is iam afraid is true, a modified car is more likely to be targeted by car thieves then a standard one. thats why insurers charge more. My insurer told me, that just changing the wheels to aftermarket ones, increases the likelyhood of the car being targeted by 25% minimum!
You have all these go faster bits on, yet your car is no faster. !! :cool:
Oh forgot to say, your car looks the dogs bo**ocks!! (y)

Andy.:)

We have a great insurance company called greenlight on fccuk, we even have a guy that comes on there from the company to answer any queries about insurance (and maybe snoop on who's been posting up races in the VS. section :p ) and it's crazy how little extra they charge for modifying. You give them your estimated BHP increase at the crank and your list of mods, and they give you a quote on that. As a guide, The cheapest quote I could find for myself, 25 with five years no claims on a '97 fiat coupe, bog standard, was £700. And I'm paying £880 with Greenlight with ALL mods delcared :cool: So they do affect premiums, but not by that much.

Thanks for the compliment about my car. It is a nice garden ornament :D

We have a great insurance company called greenlight on fccuk, we even have a guy that comes on there from the company to answer any queries about insurance (and maybe snoop on who's been posting up races in the VS. section :p ) and it's crazy how little extra they charge for modifying. You give them your estimated BHP increase at the crank and your list of mods, and they give you a quote on that. As a guide, The cheapest quote I could find for myself, 25 with five years no claims on a '97 fiat coupe, bog standard, was £700. And I'm paying £880 with Greenlight with ALL mods delcared :cool: So they do affect premiums, but not by that much.

Thanks for the compliment about my car. It is a nice garden ornament :D

Blimey, for your mods, thats cheap. think i will pass this on to my mates bling coupe! Cheers for that.

Andy.:)

Interesting debate here, as a new coupe owner i was looking forward to some chipping (not superchips, theyre for diesels but some type of ecu chip). The fccuk lads swear by them and i dont know wether to give it a go? It seems a cheap and easy way of getting 250 horses?

Go for it, I say, just you MUST have a boost gauge beforehand, and I would advise getting the fueling checked shortly after fitting. Cheapest 30BHP you'll make on the coupe (and probably most other cars!)

I know graham L personally and know how he made his chip. Also there was loads of testing that went into it.

As for insurance, im £1050 for 350bhp with all my mods. 22 with 2ncd, 1 fault accident and 1 speeding fine.

Ross

Back