General sunroof wont work

Currently reading:
General sunroof wont work

punto18

i tried my sunroof today and its dead iv pulled ther center bit out were the lights are on the roof and all the wires are all connected i cant seem to find a fuse for it :bang: any suggestions its a mk1 sporting 1.2 16v

Last edited:
Step 1 is the fuse. According to my handbook, it's actually behind a panel in the glove box (20Amp standard blade) - a block of six, and it should be top left - rather than the main fuse box.
(ETA: It is most likely a blown fuse)

Step 2 is to check the motor, for which you will need a multimeter and a mate. (i'm doing this from memory, so it may be slightly wrong). Access the roof console, disconnect the wires from the motor and connect in the multimeter (set to voltage, 20V or more). Get your mate to start the car, then press the sunroof button. If you don't get a voltage, you've got a wiring problem. If you do get 12V, then either the motor's dicky, or the mechanism's jammed.

Step 3, check the mechanism. Tip: Do NOT try this until you think it's the problem - the mechanism is "keyed", so if you set it wrong the sunroof remains part-open, or tries to force itself extra-shut. Which is a pain to get right again, especially if it's about to rain. (guess who learnt from experience to check for a fuse first!)
Inside the roof console, you will find a spanner key. this plugs into the motor, and manually works the sunroof. Turn the key and check that the sunroof actually opens reasonably freely. If necessary, regrease.

If these all fail, it's likely to be the motor, so you're looking to visit a scrappy. I didn't get this far, so i can't tell you how easy or difficult it may be to replace.

Last edited:
thanks for reply fella it looks very helpful il give it a try when the rain goes away and thanks again(y)

got it going now m8 it was the terminal on the battery it was on a bit dodgie lol but thanks for the help(y)

i have a mk 2 sporting, my sunroof packed in the other day. Ive been trawling the internet for a picture of the connection to the switch. because when tinkering around with it i removed all 4 wires from the connector (now i have fogotton which one went where:bang:) im not sure if the mk1 would be the same or no, but does anyone know what wire goes where :worship:

Relay is a common problem on the Punto don't buy a motor for it replace relay first cheaper

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1370509175.041224.jpg
I hope this helps you I can't find any better pics

Back