General Sunroof rust!

Currently reading:
General Sunroof rust!

Baglady1990

One job always leads to another
This will not do! It’s just on that one corner I’ve lifted up the seal and have been adding some rust treatment but I am aware it will need to be sanded off if we ever get a dry day!!!?

I have a dremel so I’m planing on sanding it down then re adding rust dissolver and then re painting if this how you chaps would proceed?

Attachments

• IMG_8043.jpeg
    IMG_8043.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8044.jpeg
    IMG_8044.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8045.jpeg
    IMG_8045.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
rust converter is ok but i am not convinced it converts everything! just the top or exposed surface but no penetration( oh er matron!)😜 so not confident of the metals structural integrity ?trouble is no easy way to fix it really! cant go cutting big bits out of your roof now can you! Its a big advert for keeping it clean and protected from the start no matter what climate you live in!. whilst i understand the attraction of a soft-top ( ex ford street ka owner) nowadays my cars are bought specifically WITHOUT a sun roof to prevent the same sort of problems!.

you can spend a fortune on small bottles of rust treatment or if you understand the chemistry, you'll know most of these are phosphoric acid based, as Phosphoric acid will turn rust (iron Oxide) into Iron phosphate and oxygen. which is a white powdery scale you can then brush off.

So what you actually need is toilet cleaner!!!

Also handy for descaling a toilet, kettle or anything else you want to descale or derust, but should not damage the paint.

It is phosphoric acid that is found in coke cola.

given the Gucci is a ?12 year old car now, its done pretty well to get this far with even this little amount of rust

you can spend a fortune on small bottles of rust treatment or if you understand the chemistry, you'll know most of these are phosphoric acid based, as Phosphoric acid will turn rust (iron Oxide) into Iron phosphate and oxygen. which is a white powdery scale you can then brush off.

So what you actually need is toilet cleaner!!!

Also handy for descaling a toilet, kettle or anything else you want to descale or derust, but should not damage the paint.

It is phosphoric acid that is found in coke cola.

given the Gucci is a ?12 year old car now, its done pretty well to get this far with even this little amount of rust
Oh I know! And I’m pretty keen with the underside too I’m sure there are younger 500s out there with far more rust than me! Thanks for that tip I will give that a go 👌

Oh I know! And I’m pretty keen with the underside too I’m sure there are younger 500s out there with far more rust than me! Thanks for that tip I will give that a go 👌
just check it in a small inconspicuous area first, because it might not be 100% pure and some other things might dis-colour paint especially on white. but it it will work wonders on rust normally.

Any domestic phosphoric acid based products are very much diluted…..you can buy from any decent motor shop a product called Jenolite….this is a stronger solution and it can be liquid or thixotropic so no risk of penetrating or dripping….sometimes the capillary action of liquid penetrating though is quite useful…..do be careful though as it can dissolve some rubber and nylon compounds……will have a close look at our car now in that area though…..so far for a 2010 car with 55k all I have is the lips of the rear wheelarch where it joins the sill…..underneath was all waxoiled so still good

Any domestic phosphoric acid based products are very much diluted….
except the stuff I posted a link to which is 20% phosphoric acid pretty much the same as Jenolite but a fraction of the cost.

here is a resistance chart concerning rubber and #20% phosphoric acid affects are minimal, make sure to wear Rubber gloves while using it. ;)

Attachments

• phos.JPG
    phos.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
just check it in a small inconspicuous area first, because it might not be 100% pure and some other things might dis-colour paint especially on white. but it it will work wonders on rust normally.
I’ve just gone for it 🤣 will check in an hour but I used a small paint brush so I was careful

I’ve just gone for it 🤣 will check in an hour but I used a small paint brush so I was careful
hope you was careful!? take a bottle of rust converter near your fiat and two things might happen!.
A) the car gets frightened and sulks and stops working!:unsure: or
B) the whole car gets converted into another dimension and vanishes never to be seen again!😂:rolleyes:

hope you was careful!? take a bottle of rust converter near your fiat and two things might happen!.
A) the car gets frightened and sulks and stops working!:unsure: or
B) the whole car gets converted into another dimension and vanishes never to be seen again!😂:rolleyes:
So far so good it’s starting to dissolve the rust! Far faster than my hammerite stuff

Any domestic phosphoric acid based products are very much diluted…..you can buy from any decent motor shop a product called Jenolite….this is a stronger solution and it can be liquid or thixotropic so no risk of penetrating or dripping….sometimes the capillary action of liquid penetrating though is quite useful…..do be careful though as it can dissolve some rubber and nylon compounds……will have a close look at our car now in that area though…..so far for a 2010 car with 55k all I have is the lips of the rear wheelarch where it joins the sill…..underneath was all waxoiled so still good
Just as a follow up I noticed the small gap between the A pillar and top screen on mine had filled up with gunge and this is a water drain drain channel down the side of the windscreen so if these get googled up the water will rest in the sunroof well

Just as a follow up I noticed the small gap between the A pillar and top screen on mine had filled up with gunge and this is a water drain drain channel down the side of the windscreen so if these get googled up the water will rest in the sunroof well
should be part of an servicing list! check once a year for the spring /summer season!

Sorted! There was actually very light rust in other areas primarily the whole back! But I’ve treated then sanded treated again and now painted!

Attachments

• IMG_8565.jpeg
    IMG_8565.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8580.jpeg
    IMG_8580.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 335C5AED-EDDD-43A8-ADE3-CFB477357790.jpeg
    335C5AED-EDDD-43A8-ADE3-CFB477357790.jpeg