Technical Studdering when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Studdering when cold

Hi All,

When running from a cold start, i.e. over night, the car always studders when pulling out of junctions...but only until it warms up.

Once warm, it is impossible to make it studder on purpose and hence why I think there may be a problem.

This is on downhill also so its not on the brink of stalling or anything - if I put about 2500 revs on it only does it a bit.

Gears have been stiff to change lately also, feeling like you have to push through something to put into gear
frown.gif

Any ideas?

Had a search but just find things about turbos studdering etc...

Thanks,
Sam

Sounds to me like the engine is running a bit lean at cold start-up.

Sorry but I have no idea how that could be fixed, possibly a sensor issue telling the engine it is warmer than it really is so check the coolant level & the coolant temperature sensor until a smarter person comes along with some good ideas :eek: Might also be worth taking it out for a low gear, low speed thrash (plenty rev, no speed) after you stick some injector cleaner in the tank.

Possibly a finger broken on the clutch release spring.Iv`e had this problem on other car types that had the same symptoms as yours.

thanks for replies guys :)

its 1.4 8v. 29000 miles

Its fine after warm up. Even when i return to it after work. its just in the mornings

@ffoxy: was going to try some transmission stuff that you put into the oil or something..the tub says "for stiff gear changes" although im not 100% and dont like using things i dont know about

Last edited:
thanks for replies guys :)

its 1.4 8v. 29000 miles

Its fine after warm up. Even when i return to it after work. its just in the mornings

@ffoxy: was going to try some transmission stuff that you put into the oil or something..the tub says "for stiff gear changes" although im not 100% and dont like using things i dont know about

My comment was about the cold start "studdering" TBH.

For the dodgy gearchange it could be worth having the gearchange cables looked at for adjustment or replacement. These are underneath the car & are probably best left for an experienced person.

Last edited:
Back