Technical Strut top mounting plates

Currently reading:
Technical Strut top mounting plates

W Bakker

Hey all,

I have a few questions about the mounting plates that hold the front struts in place. Number 9 in the picture below.
44301-40-15506221.png

First of all, is there a way to stop the new ones from rusting within a year? I have the plastic covers on but that didn't stop the new ones from rusting out after 15 months.

Second, neither my local parts store nor reputable online stores don't have any strut mounting plates listed or don't have them in stock for the 500. They do however for other Fiat cars. Are the plates the same as the Panda or any other Fiats?

Thanks in advance!

This what you need?

Grease top cup, seal cover(12) to rubber of top cup rubber with silicone

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This what you need?

Grease top cup, seal cover(12) to rubber of top cup rubber with silicone
No, I need the top cups. I think I've found some quite local. He's calling me back within the hour. Thanks for the tips.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
PAINT THEM WITH HAMMERITE! sorry cant help with availability!
Will be painting them tonight. I'll also slap some grease on them and seal the covers with some silicone. Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20240129_160424.jpg
    20240129_160424.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
This issue has been known about pretty much since the car was first launched. It's a design fault - water runs directly into the cups when it rains.

Here's a thread from 14 years ago.

Basically slather them in grease, then put something loose fitting (so that the air can still circulate) over the top. The idea is to throw off the water so that it doesn't collect in the cups.

A marine grease like Morris K99 would work well in this application.

Painting doesn't work well in any application where standing water is involved. It may even make things worse if the water penetrates the paint layer, as the water trapped between the paint and the metal surface is an ideal breeding ground for corrosion.

Last edited:
I think that by doing every thing ie- paint grease sealant your pretty much covering all the bases! probably last the life of the car!
That's what I'm aiming for. Just have to wait for the new bilstein shocks and springs to come in.

out of interest where did you get the shocks and springs from? and how much did you pay?!
I got most of the stuff from Autodoc, if you refer back to the parts diagram I posted above I'll list the number on the photo with the product number on their website and the price.

1 - BILSTEIN 22-197368 - 49,36 each
4 - Sachs 900 335 - 16,72 for a set of 2
10 - BILSTEIN 36-200610 - 26,39 each
5 - BILSTEIN 12-224234 - 20,67 each

I got 8 and 9 from a local parts distributor called Tuynder, I don't know if they ship internationally but I'll list the OEM part numbers and their website below.

8 - 51857576 - 25,85 each
9 - 51707691 - 18,31 each

If you need any OEM part numbers for suspension parts let me know!

I’m due to do the same soon, but I don’t understand with the bush part 5,does the rubber tab/arrow point towards the rear of the car both sides?

Also from what I’ve read the drop links usually need replacing so not sure if you’ve got them ordered too

I’m due to do the same soon, but I don’t understand with the bush part 5,does the rubber tab/arrow point towards the rear of the car both sides?

Also from what I’ve read the drop links usually need replacing so not sure if you’ve got them ordered too
Yes, the rubber tap points towards the rear of the car on number 5. The tap on number 8 points outwards, towards the wheel.

I did order new drop links and outer tie rods too, forgot to mention those :)

To test the droplinks for wear, you first need to unload the anti roll bar. Lift the front of the car on that side & lower it onto an axle stand. Then put a jack under the strut, and compress the strut until there is no tension in the droplink. If there's any wear, you'll be able to feel it quite easily.

Even badly worn droplinks can feel solid if you do this test with either the suspension hanging free, or with the weight of the car on its wheels.

It's also useful to do this when replacing them, since it makes it easy to line up the holes when fitting the new ones.

Irrespective of wear, you'll need to replace them if you can't loosen the securing nut. These quite frequently have to be cut off.

Fortunately, they're cheap as chips.

Last edited:
Yes, the rubber tap points towards the rear of the car on number 5. The tap on number 8 points outwards, towards the wheel.

I did order new drop links and outer tie rods too, forgot to mention those :)
Perfect, I’ve seen a few videos where it looks like they put it in wherever it sits.

I recently done both lower control arms, need to do both front suspension struts as it’s leaking a little or misting as they say.

New tyres and tracked, tracking went out a little when I changed the control arms or noticed it more, not sure but not too fussed because it needs new tyres

Perfect, I’ve seen a few videos where it looks like they put it in wherever it sits.

I recently done both lower control arms, need to do both front suspension struts as it’s leaking a little or misting as they say.

New tyres and tracked, tracking went out a little when I changed the control arms or noticed it more, not sure but not too fussed because it needs new tyres
yep always something to do!!

Back