Struggling with wishbone

Currently reading:
Struggling with wishbone

S

Steve

Hi i have a brava sx 1.2 (2001)
im trying to take the wishbone off to replace it but first off none of my sockets/spanners fit the 4 big bolts holding the back end of the wishbone on.
Ive measured them the best i can an they seem to be 15mm can someone confirm this for me before i go buy a set and is it easiest to use a socket or a spanner to get them off because they seems well rusted in place ive sprayed them with wd40 so when i get a set they should be ok.
Are there any tips for me though if the 4 nuts are stuck on solid because i have already snapped a bolt trying to take the drop link bolt off and i dont want to do that again
cheers
steve

im pretty sure it is a 15. just take it easy, u dont wanna snap it.

might aswell do ur drop links

ShaunCowhats.gif

Its a 1.4 Chassis, 1.6 Engine and 2.0ltr Brakes and half a Marea :)

Follow My Project
Updated: 27/08/2008

Heat up the bolt with blow torch, this will loosen the bolt and burn any rust off the thread.

Banner08.jpg

Items For Sale:
ePER V4.0 2008 DVD, Fiat Bravo/a Passenger Airbag Covers to suit MK1, Fiat Bravo/a Headlamp Washer Jets, Bravo & Marea Workshop Manuals, Fiat Bravo Haynes Manual &, Fiat Bravo Owners Manual on CD etc...

Contact Me for more details.

Cheers
i'm off to b&q tomorrow for the socket set.
Just looked on there site an they sell blow torchs so i think i'll get one of them at same time
cheers

Just dont set your car on fire! :)

Banner08.jpg

Items For Sale:
ePER V4.0 2008 DVD, Fiat Bravo/a Passenger Airbag Covers to suit MK1, Fiat Bravo/a Headlamp Washer Jets, Bravo & Marea Workshop Manuals, Fiat Bravo Haynes Manual &, Fiat Bravo Owners Manual on CD etc...

Contact Me for more details.

a good idea to loosen the nut is to give the ratchet a hit with a hammer, Gives it a shock to break the seal

Hi
Thanks for the advise i have had a couple of probs though.
1 of the bolts on the wishbone snapped,and the bolt on the bottom of the drop link bar snapped when i was unduing it.
So anyway i carried on doing the wishbone and got the other bolts off ok( after using blow torch)
Then i got the new wishbone on an fastened the 3 ok bolts in place,so i just need to buy a new bolt to put in.
But my problem is a bought a new drop link and i just can't get it to slot into the hole if i put it on the ARB then the nut is lower than the wishbone,and if i put it into the wishbone first i cant get the ARB down low enough to fit onto it.
I have trid jacking up the ARB and also tried jacking up the brake disc i just cant get it in
I really dont want to undu the balljoint again because when i was putting it in the bush got a slight cut in in about 3mm and i dont want to risk makinh it worse as i have to take the car for the MOT retest after im done
Is it safe to jack the ARB up or could i bend it going too high
Any advise would be great
Thanks
Steve

Well, I'm sorry to put a damper on things but if you have split the rubber on the ball joint then the car will fail the mot

Hi
its only the slightest little nick i wouldnt call it as big as a slit would that still fail

If it is not too bad and you have not lost any grease You could clean it and stick it with superglue. Split cv gaitors use this method so should be ok