Technical streering wheel problems

Currently reading:
Technical streering wheel problems

metalben

hey guys i'm having few problems, its only ever so often but my steering jams completely. i have to turn the car on and off to reset it, im sure i've seen something online about it, but i cant seem to find it.
is it serious?

cheer ben

First you need to tell us if it's jamming or if it's just not providing any servo assistance.
Second, get someone with a version of MES/FES to read the steering column error codes.

I'm under the impression you have problems with the electric servo steering.

Of course it's serious.

For your own safety and the safety of other road users, you need to get this looked at.
This could just be a simple matter of the battery on it's way out, but still needs to be identified and cured.

its jamming the steering wont turn at all, the steering wheel light comes on too but it only happens when im going slow and turn my wheel quickly,

i've had a test put through but when i turn the car on and off the warning light is gone,

is there any way i can check the battery

ben

i've had a test put through but when i turn the car on and off the warning light is gone,

is there any way i can check the battery

ben

Hi Ben, and welcome to FF,

I don't understand the 1st bit..,

FES / MES,
will read the fault codes generated by the steering's own ECU..,

the Battery is the most common failure,

then poor connections,

the actual steering itself is fairly tough ; - )

A volt meter is a good way of checking the basics,

with the engine off ; battery should read AT LEAST 12 Volts,

start engine - with engine idling it should read 14V + on the battery terminals,

turn engine OFF, and it should read @ 13.2V , slowly dropping back to 12V as a minimum,

let us know what you find,

Charlie

Last edited:
hey guys sorry i haven't replied, been working over the weekend
ill have to see if my cousin has a FES/MES

ill have a look over the tread as well

Thanks

Back