Technical Strange smells from the car :-(

Currently reading:
Technical Strange smells from the car :-(

Only noticed this since it got cold and had the heaters on
Burning plasticity/engine smell in the car and outside when I get out. My main suspicion would a coolant leak. But I only think this as in the summer it was right down one day but seems to be fine ever since.

Car seems to run fine otherwise no warning lights coming up. It’s a 63 plate but only done 22k. It’s a 1.3 diesel auto.

Is this likely to cost me £££ or is it new car time?

Hi and merry Christmas,was going to suggest the smell might be emitted from the passenger seat but no I think the smell you describe is probably the exhaust regenerating depending where it is at they can also smell strongly of chlorine I do get that heavy tar/ plastic smell as well. My commute to work is short so to keep things well I always make sure the engine is warm when I get to work and a good drive at weekend . If at all possible keep on driving if you get the dash regen warning on and all will be well.Our car is a 1.6 diesel its 16 plate and nearly faultless touch wood.

Merry Christmas.
Yeah I forgot to add that I been doing a lot of short trips back and forth to the train station and shopping.

I need to give the car a good drive. Just the traffic this time of year put me off :D
I've got the car booked in to the garage to change my rear break pads so he's going to take a look.

Am guessing it's not a rotten egg type of smell? If so I had this and it was the screen washer fluid had rotted and every time I used it with the heaters switched on a bad smell came into the cabin. I spent a while squirting all the old water out then replaced with new pre mixed screen fluid and it's been fine since.

I had this recently it’s the injectors seals that need cleaning, it’s a build up off soot on them, had mine done and the smell has gone

Mine smelt like burning plastic so I took it to my local garage who cleaned the injector seals and replaced the seal, they said that soot had built up around the injectors and that was giving off the bad smell. It’s certainly taken the smell away now that been done it cost £122 with labour, well worth the outlay. Hope this helps

Back