Technical Stilo Starting problems PLEASE HELP!

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Starting problems PLEASE HELP!

Bakes06

Hi,

Im having trouble starting the engine. It seems like there isnt enough fuel passsing through for it to kick in. I can manage to get it going if i put it into third gear and rock the car while giving it some gas but its hard work and it just jutters and spludders.

i just replaced the battery as it was completly dead and i have been having on going problems with that.

its a 55 plate 1.4 active sport. an it has jsut had the water pump replaced.

please help, its costing me more money than i have.

thanks alot

Bakes.

At the risk of being a doom-monger, I think replacement of the water pump involves removing and replacing the cam belt. If this has resulted in mis-timing of the engine, that might explain why it doesn't want to start...

Thanx yellow peril.

I have been reading through hundreds of posts on here to see if any others had similar problems and it also sounds like it could either be the starter motor or maybe an air lock in the system? what are your thoughts?

also do you know what the bleeding nipples on the stilo are for im guessing for the rads etc? i think there are 3 in total one with a red cap on it.

cheers

Bakes

There's no way an air-lock in the cooling system will stop the engine from starting :confused:

I can manage to get it going if i put it into third gear and rock the car while giving it some gas but its hard work and it just jutters and spludders.
Can you explain this in more detail :confused:

Stilo starter motors rarely fail.

A lot more history and details of the problem might help.

Hey,

I had trouble with it overheating and losing coolant so put it into fiat who told me my head gaskett had gone. i couldnt afford to replace at the time so i let a friend of the family have a look who is a mechanic. he told me the head gaskett was fine it was the water pump that had problems. he replaced it and serviced and mot'd it. two weeks later......it has been refusing start. it goes to turn over but makes a gargeling sound like the fuel isnt getting in??? and just wont kick over. as i said before putting it in gear and rocking the car it will eventully kick in and then i can turn it on and off fine untill i let it rest for about 15 minutes then i will have the same problem.

really baffled to be honest.

If I understand you correctly you'll saying the engine wont turn over because the starter motor pinion jams with the flywheel and you have to rock the car to free it.

This is indeed a classic sign of a problem with the starter motor (or flywheel teeth :() but seems extremely odd this should happen just two weeks after the car has been serviced.

Did it run fine during those 2 weeks?

Why not just take it back?

it was ok for about a week, the last week it has been playing up.

i would take it back but im low on funds this month and worried that this is yet another costly thing i'll need to fix. i was hoping that it may be something i could do myself.

sorry im not sure what you mean by using water?

Do you need to top up the radiator header tank, is it overheating?

Back