Technical Stilo JTD Drive shaft

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo JTD Drive shaft

Usually with a CV joint or boot kit, there is a sachet of grease with the "right" amount in it.
Although quantities are specified, does anyone ever measure it? Could be a messy business.

Another thought, use gloves when using moly grease, it gets into the skin and takes days to go. It can't be doing you any good, as well as being unsightly.

Although quantities are specified, does anyone ever measure it? Could be a messy business.

Not sure about STAR 500, but MRM ZERO is supplied in 125gm tubes.

When I fitted a new O/S JTD driveshaft a few weeks ago, I used 1 full tube, plus about 15gm from a second tube, plus a bit to allow for what was stuck on the inside of the "empty" first tube. So yes, I reckon I got it within +/- 10gm.

Attachments

• JTD OS Driveshaft.JPG
    JTD OS Driveshaft.JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 124
I phoned every local motor factor for it (or equivalent), none of them had ever heard of semi fluid grease. Local Fiat dealer said they just use normal CV joint grease for the tripod joint. That may be OK for their customer's cars where it could last a couple of years before they have to take the car back and are told "you need another driveshaft but the previous one's out of warranty now", but I figured there must be a reason why Fiat specify a different grease, so I wanted the correct one for my car.

I eventually phoned Petronas (01727 811213), who make Tutela and Selenia products. They gave me a list of companies that had bought MRM ZERO from them. Northgate Garage, (a Fiat dealer in Canterbury 01227 828200) posted me 2 tubes that arrived the next day. £3.48 each + postage.

The CV joint uses 6 balls in a cage whereas the tripod joint has a needle roller bearing at the end of each of three legs, these prefer a heavy oil rather than a grease.
I seem to remember that we used to pack the tripod joints on mini, allegro, maxi, princess, etc., with a different goo, all under a British Leyland part number, but never any specs.
Using CV grease on the tripod joint is not good.

I eventually phoned Petronas (01727 811213), who make Tutela and Selenia products. They gave me a list of companies that had bought MRM ZERO from them. Northgate Garage, (a Fiat dealer in Canterbury 01227 828200) posted me 2 tubes that arrived the next day. £3.48 each + postage.

They're still happy to supply this grease, and the price has even gone down!
Thanks very much for the contact Davren (y)

Back