Technical Stilo 1.6: New alternator and battery, problem with immobiliser

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.6: New alternator and battery, problem with immobiliser

Trymas

Hi, Norway calling. I just bought a 2003 Stilo 1.6, and just changed alternator and battery. Now the immobiliser symbol popped up on the display, and I don't know how to solve this. Btw the starter kicks in, so I know it works. Trying to read off the errors is not possible, I don't get any response from the ECU.

Last edited:
Hi, Norway calling. I just bought a 2003 Stilo 1.6, and just changed alternator and battery. Now the immobiliser symbol pooped up on the display, and I don't know how to solve this. Btw the starter kicks in, so I know it Works. Trying to read of the errors is not possible, I don't get any response from the ECU.

What software are you using to read the codes?
If you are using FES / MES, have you set the latency correctly on the com port in device manager, it should be set to 1ms.

Also, have you checked all earths and ECU pins - the 1.6 is prone to dropping pins on the ECU near the engine.

What software are you using to read the codes?
If you are using FES / MES, have you set the latency correctly on the com port in device manager, it should be set to 1ms.

Also, have you checked all earths and ECU pins - the 1.6 is prone to dropping pins on the ECU near the engine.

Thank you for the swift reply, I will check this out right away. So what about the immobiliser light, is there a good way to remove that?

Thank you for the swift reply, I will check this out right away. So what about the immobiliser light, is there a good way to remove that?

It depends on what is causing it to light up.
Do you mean the little security light with a key in it (yellow / orange).

I had it come up on my car but that was becuase the key was not coded to the car, it also came up when I bump started the car (after I had stalled it) the car knows its been started without a new signal from the key :).

It depends on what is causing it to light up.
Do you mean the little security light with a key in it (yellow / orange).

I had it come up on my car but that was becuase the key was not coded to the car, it also came up when I bump started the car (after I had stalled it) the car knows its been started without a new signal from the key :).

Yes, that's the light, and my question is how to "activate" my key again.

Yes, that's the light, and my question is how to "activate" my key again.

Ah ha - you should not need to re-code the key to the car, they should never be forgotton, the only thing that the ECU can forgot is the remote part of your key (it happened to me).

Anyhow - to re-code the key, you will need to buy your codes from a Fiat dealership - they usually charge around £35 but... if you call Sturgess and ask to be put through the parts department, then ask for Sean.
He will get the codes for you for £15 all including vat, you will need to supply a copy of your v5 log book to prove the car is in your name.

Codes arrive quickly :)

Then buy Multi Ecu Scan licence, you cant use premium functions without the licence, and coding the immobiliser is one of them.

Once you have bought it - MES will tell you how to code the key :) becareful, if you do it wrong - you still may not be able to use your original transponder in your current key.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ah ha - you should not need to re-code the key to the car, they should never be forgotton, the only thing that the ECU can forgot is the remote part of your key (it happened to me).

Anyhow - to re-code the key, you will need to buy your codes from a Fiat dealership - they usually charge around £35 but... if you call Sturgess and ask to be put through the parts department, then ask for Sean.
He will get the codes for you for £15 all including vat, you will need to supply a copy of your v5 log book to prove the car is in your name.

Codes arrive quickly :)

Then buy Multi Ecu Scan licence, you cant use premium functions without the licence, and coding the immobiliser is one of them.

Once you have bought it - MES will tell you how to code the key :) becareful, if you do it wrong - you still may not be able to use your original transponder in your current key.

hope this helps.
This is very useful information. So there is no way to to activate my key without re coding , then?

I don't think Sturgess (or any UK Fiat dealer) will be able to get the codes for a Norwegian registered car. Can't remember who it was, but there was another non UK member that tried, and failed. May have been because they didn't recognise the non UK vehicle registration document.

This is very useful information. So there is no way to to activate my key without re coding , then?

No.

Not unless you hack the ECU and edit the data stored inside it with an HEX editor, i wont go into detail, search google - plenty of information on it, it is very tricky - thats all i will say and thats me a computer / technology engineer.

If you can't communicate with the ecu and you normally can with your equipment then that is the first problem to fix its likely the body computer can't see it either - hence the immobiliser error. Noone can recode your keys without working communication anyway. I would always look at whatever was done last, maybe blew a main fuse on the battery or dislodged / forgot to reconnect a wire somewhere.

Last edited:
If you can't communicate with the ecu and you normally can with your equipment then that is the first problem to fix noone its likely the body computer can't see it either - hence the immobiliser error. Noone can recode your keys without working communication. I would always look at whatever was done last, maybe blew a main fuse on the batter or dislodged / forgot to reconnect a wire somewhere.
I think so too, since I'm having difficulties communicating with the ecu, that has to be the first issue to sort out. I will og through the fuses and cables once more, thank you.

I don't think Sturgess (or any UK Fiat dealer) will be able to get the codes for a Norwegian registered car. Can't remember who it was, but there was another non UK member that tried, and failed. May have been because they didn't recognise the non UK vehicle registration document.
True!

I'm guessing the dealer uses the VIN number and runs it past Fiat UK to get the security code from them.. so the details for a foreign registered car will be "unknown" to Fiat UK.

If your ECU talks to your code reader okay then it's probably okay. ECU doesn't just die when the battery goes flat.. but disconnecting all the wiring around the battery may have upset some connection in one of the circuits from the Body Control Module.

It could be that you just need to get the key re-programmed. I'm guessing sometime during the battery switch-over, the ECU and the key's immobilisor codes became de-synchronized. If you re-program the key that ought to solve the problem.

Ralf S.

My mechanic has gone through all electrical connections, and found nothing wrong. The he took out the ecu, and found that it had been opened before...
He tried soldering, but when he tried starting it...And he has not been able to connect with the ecu to read off any possible errors. So, ecu in the waste basket,and buy a new one, maybe without immobiliser??? Or should I try recoding the keys, even though no contact with the ecu?

My mechanic has gone through all electrical connections, and found nothing wrong. The he took out the ecu, and found that it had been opened before...
He tried soldering, but when he tried starting it...And he has not been able to connect with the ecu to read off any possible errors. So, ecu in the waste basket,and buy a new one, maybe without immobiliser??? Or should I try recoding the keys, even though no contact with the ecu?

The immobiliser functions are run through the body computer not the engine ECU, so you'll need a different set of software and cables if you wish to code the keys up.

In theory you're binned the engine ECU on the basis that you couldn't talk to it and decided it was dead, so you should be able to talk to the new engine ECU.

Removing the immobiliser would invalidate any insurance you held, so even if you did do this it would be seriously not recommended. You can get the security code needed to recode your keys from Sturgess Fiat for about £15 so it's doable if required.

Back