Technical Steering sound

Currently reading:
Technical Steering sound

danielmarset

Hi, i am about to buy a barchetta, it is really worned, it must be resprayed totally, softop changed, suspension in the left/back makes some noise, but the most strange thing is the following...
The when i turn the wheel and the asisted direction works it makes a noise like the electric windows but 5 times louder, really bad, but it turns well, soft and easy, i checked the steering oil and it is ok.
What could this be? is the thing that i fear most...
Regards

You will probably be best of to search for another barchetta.
Steering sound is the powersteering; Check the fluid is at the right level. At full lock the powersteering makes a typical sound. Every bar has this.

If it is as loud as you say, it could be that the pump is on its way out, they can get noisy as they wear.
You need to check the the rear left swingarm bushes for play as these can and do wear. Also you should check the damper is not leaking and the spring has not broken. Then check the wheel bolts are tight.

You will probably be best of to search for another barchetta.
Steering sound is the powersteering; Check the fluid is at the right level. At full lock the powersteering makes a typical sound. Every bar has this.
Jeje, yes i understand it has many things to do, but it sales for 2000€, and the owner said that he knows always people where going to lower the price 200€ so he thinks on sell it at 1800€ sure...

Thanks for the advices

1800€ looks ok price, but depend on what condition is. for example ONE second hand hedlight is about 300€... i was thinking to buy another with dead engine for about 1200€ just for spare parts. about steering sound, it's normal to hear when you turn it to full, but it should be quiet sound. also check for belt, variator and fuel pump (loud wispering sound behind seats).

In most cases the suspension sound in the back has something to do with rubbers.
First check swingarm bushes (pull the wheel towards you and feel for execive play). Second, and most common problem are the rubbers witch holds the back axle. 2 new rubbers and that will be fixed. check ebay for them.

Back